21 | Forgetting Colors

Two Weeks Later

JASMINE HATED that she was stuck in her room all day, every day. She was the type of person who preferred to spend her time outdoors, but after being drugged and beaten in the span of one week, her parents decided it would be better to put her on house arrest whenever she wasn't at school. It was easier to keep track of her and it was easier to keep her safe.

The only positive consequence to arise from this situation was that SS had not contacted her since their last run-in. At first, their silence left her feeling queasy, but she realized it was healthier for her mind to just ignore it.

During this time of forced peace, Aishwarya and Varun had been served with two twelve-year-olds to care for as their own. While Jasmine had expected the wave of calm that washed over them to be destroyed with her cousins' permanent relocation to their house, their situation had actually turned out well.

Her parents had found out little tidbits of information about their niece and nephew that they never knew before. They learned everything from how Aditya liked Indian food more than Jasmine to Karina's wild obsession with Aishwarya's wedding sarees. Her parents had their hands full right now, but Jasmine had a feeling they were enjoying it, even though they wouldn't admit it.

Their daughter, on the other hand, was incredibly lonely and she told Shayan that whenever she could. Every day since the beginning of her house arrest, he would sneak onto her balcony like he did when they were fifteen and they would talk.

He hadn't made any moves on her, which she was thankful for. She couldn't handle any more drama in her life. She just couldn't help wanting to kiss him, though, even if it would never work for them.

The last time Shayan was at her house, he had invited her to the Holi Festival his mother was hosting in their backyard. She told him yes without a thought, but she still warned him that if she couldn't sneak away, she wouldn't make it.

He said that even the fact that she wanted to come was enough for him. With a smile on his lips that made her insides flip, he descended from her balcony, disappearing into the night as if he never existed in the first place.

She wanted to follow him into the darkness. She wanted to create her own reality with him, a place where they could finally have their happy ending. Jasmine debated running after him, but right when she was about to call out for him to turn back, she stopped herself.

She had to control her urges. Not everything she wanted was good, and her parents' rules were protecting her from such things.

With a heavy heart, she crawled into her bed and fell asleep a few minutes later, kept company only by the dreams of tomorrow's Holi festival and Shayan's smile.

The next day, Jasmine managed to convince her parents into going to Costco for groceries. The store was at least an hour from their house, and she knew that once her father placed a foot in a store with free samples all over, he wouldn't leave for another few hours. That gave her just enough time to catch a brief glimpse of his party.

Once her parents had left and had taken Karina and Aditya with them, a grin formed on Jasmine's face. Sure, her eyes were swollen and black. Sure, she had cuts and stitches all over her face. Sure, she had purple bruises running up and down her body, but that smile made her feel beautiful again, like the old Jasmine.

She knew she couldn't just wear a plain shirt and jeans. No, she had to embrace her culture today. She needed to feel her Indian blood coursing through her veins when she went over if only to keep her grounded in case the more provocative, American side of her decided to reveal itself.