Goodbyes

CHAPTER ONE

Fresh spring air against my face is the best stress reliever. I opened the two passenger windows and blasted the radio. I sighed, leaning back while I slowed down. Traffic was heavy today. I couldn't remember being stuck for over fifteen minutes. I took the time to grab my smoothie, slurping noisely.

"Good morning everyone, I hope you're having a wonderful day in this sixty degree weather! I know I am, right George?"

"You couldn't have said it anymore perfectly Jane. It might be partially cloudy around noon but it should clear up around midday."

I peeked out my window as I listened to the weather station.

Living in Quakertown, Pennsylvania since childhood wasn't the humid weather I looked forward to like Florida, but it was nice during the summer. It was a shame I was leaving to upstate New York. I had no idea what it would be like. Having to take an hour drive from there to the city to get to school would also get to me sooner than later. Thank goodness for the money I saved from working at Shelly's Buffet & Bar. It left enough to rent an apartment, pay for my school fees, and buy furniture. The rest would last me a couple month's rent so I had to job hunt soon. My father also decided it would be best to send money every month to help out.

My clothes and necessities were packed neatly in my suitcases while my furniture was back to its build-me-please state. I loved my bedroom set-having to take it apart was a pain in the ass.

Traffic was easing up. Knowing I bought this 2003 Honda civic sedan, I could tell it was used by the chip on the glove department and the ripped fabric on the steering wheel. Especially the small barely noticeable crack on the front window. At least the paint wasn't chipped and the lights worked perfectly. Even the mileage was low.

Second time driving this car and I'm already worried it might collapse before I take my departure. Hopefully it works smoothly during that two hour and twenty minute drive to Monticello. This car better not be a waste of the three thousand dollars that I worked years to build up. Turning down the volume on the radio, I called my father.

"Hey bug, how's it going?"

Turning around the corner of my house, I answered. "Nothing much, just giving her a test drive. How is mom doing?"

I heard a sigh before he replied, "We're still waiting the results, been about..." a pause before he continued, "an hour I would say. I might go and pick up your grandparents."

"I could do it if you want. Wouldn't be a problem."

A rustle on the other line and a zipper being pulled.

"No, no, it's fine. I need to speak to them about something important anyways. Go finish with your packing and I'll call you when I'm heading home."

I nodded, "Alright dad, I'll see you in a bit."