The Fey

I can see, hear, and speak with fey folk. For that matter, I can also hear and speak to most animals and sometimes even trees, and rocks. This is not something I learned, so it isn't something I can teach. It simply is.

The more I acknowledged the fey around me, the more of them came to me and spent time with me. Some are quite wild and it's best simply to say 'hello, how lovely to see you' with a smile and keep going. Other spirits are wonderful to sit down and talk to, as you would talk to an elder of our own race. They tell amazing stories. Sometimes, with permission, I write them down and share them.

Fey folk come in all shapes and sizes and ways of being. Some are pure magic — spirit only. Although they can choose to create a physical body, they don't generally want to. Others have any gradiation of physical being that serves them best.

Most fey folk have a job, so to speak, and some of them are way too busy sheparding their charges, helping plants grow, protecting trees or water or earth to stop and talk to some big, lumbering human. Others are quite friendly and interested in us, especially any of us with a bit of fey, or who appreciate the natural world, or who work with magic.

There are spirits of place, and other spirits who wander with complete freedom. There are spirits who are very interested in and involved with humans, and others who could care less about us — and even some who don't like us.

If you do not naturally see the fey, I believe you can learn to see them, speak and hear, and work with them. Mostly what is required is willingness and interest on your part.

There are many thick, information packed tomes devoted to teaching you to work with the fey — so I'm going to let them do it. I've found some of them helpful, especially when it comes to contacting a particular fey of place or those who wish to help in ritual and spells, but what little I would have to teach and share would not fill a book!

But, if you are like me, and the fey come to you then my best advice is to listen, to observe, and to accept the teaching they bring to you with thankfulness. Learn what they like, and make them offerings. Let your heart be your guide, always.

Blessedbe.