Chapter 26

The moment Dr. Comstock pulled away from Edwin and gathered the blood stained tourniquet up in his hands, Nancy had known. She didn't need to see the doctor's face, didn't need to hear the words.

"I believe, dear friends," the voice droned as she stared at her husband's stilled form. "I believe that for all my efforts to save him, God has chosen to take our dearest Edwin from this mortal coil. I did everything I could. It was meant to be."

"Edwin, Edwin can you hear me?" Nancy said, despite what she knew, despite what she heard. She knelt beside him and grasped his arm. "Edwin, please answer me. I have news. I have joyous news. I was waiting until you were clear of mind to tell you and now I can wait no longer. I am with child Edwin. I carry your son within me - our son. You can't leave now. You must return to me. Please Edwin, come back to me. Come back to your son."

"Mrs. Comstock, your husband cannot hear you now. He is with God now."

"No," she said. "No," and pulled away from the arms that were grasping at her, trying to pull her away from Edwin.

"Edwin, listen. Have you heard me? You can't leave now. You must stay. You must stay and meet your son."

"Mrs. Comstock, please."

"Nancy, dear Nancy. I am so sorry."

It was Nathaniel Gale who spoke. She turned to him, questioning. "Please come with me." Nathaniel pulled up on her shoulders and she slowly stood beside him. "Let the doctor give you something to sleep. There is nothing more you can do."

She looked back at her husband lying so still upon the bed. He looked so pale and fragile. The covers had been pulled aside and his chest lay bare before her - that chest she had so often lain upon. "No!" she screamed. "No! Edwin!" She tore out of Nathaniel Gale's grasp and flung herself upon her husband's body. And he was warm. He was still warm!