Chapter 6

Nathaniel Gale well knew that his sister referred to her marriage to Captain Erastus Davison when she spoke of his owing her a favour; she had entered into it at his urging and he had done well by it. He had been made aware of Captain Davison's need, and reluctance, to find a wife by his then good friend Gurdon Davison, Erastus' nephew and ward. The Davisons were a family of ship's captains, Erastus' father, Barzillai, and two uncles having been captains in the East India Company while it was in its glory. Together, the sea captain brothers had amassed quite a large fortune and then each of them, save Barzillai, had died at sea. Barzillai was the executor of his brothers' estates and managed to gather most of their wealth to himself. It was that fortune, ameliorated by Barzillai's own efforts, that was at issue for Erastus. His father wanted him to be the patriarch to the extended family of widows and orphans, as he himself had been; but he wanted his son to feel the part and there was no better way than to become subject to the bonds of family himself. For Nathaniel Gale's part in the bargain, he had been placed in charge of the Davison's business interests in Buenos Aires which he managed for ten years, until Erastus' death required they be sold. 

Yes, Nathaniel Gale well knew what favour Nancy referred to, and would find it difficult to deny her in any event; that it was her new husband's life in the balance was further incentive still. Edwin was a good customer of Nathaniel Gale's growing dye business - he provided a welcome foothold in New York City, which in turn provided Nathaniel Gale access to the even greater markets of the expanding mid-west. He had come to respect the man and to expect a good working relationship in years to come. 

"Of course Nancy," he answered his sister, "I will do what you ask." 

"Thank you dear Nathaniel." Nancy's face immediately softened and she smiled up at him. She was a handsome woman, Nathaniel thought, with her raven hair and high colour, and a good thing too. Beauty asserts its power, even over a brother. And she will survive this tragedy, if that is what it becomes, as she had all others in her life. It was perhaps that realization that allowed his mind to skip so quickly from Nancy's plight in the matter of Edwin to his own concerns.  

Nathaniel Gale was brought to Edwin's bedside that day because he happened to have been in New York City on business, anticipating the need to make certain arrangements before the birth of his fifth child, which was imminent. Thoughts of that unborn child had risen to mind as he had observed his unfortunate brother-in-law in his sick room earlier and similar thoughts were rising once again. It was a strange connection he was making, between his brother-in-law, whom he had come to respect above many a man, and his unborn child. He could but wish for such attributes as Edwin held - of industry, perseverance and strength of conviction, to imbue his own offspring; if Edwin should die, he thought, and his own child be a boy, he could do no better in making him a namesake.  

*** 

It didn't take long for Nathaniel Gale to arrange Nancy's passage for that night on the steamer Henry Eckford to Norwich, Connecticut. His friend in the business was well connected, having recently taken over the Long Island runs after making a name for himself on the steamship trade up the Hudson River. Alpheus Vandeen was married Nathaniel Gale's second cousin Sophia and they had been initiated together into the same Masonic Lodge in Norwich when they were both young men. Their brotherhood in this regard remained indomitable and, despite the fact they had spoken rarely in these last fifteen years, Nathaniel Gale had no doubts Mr. Vandeen would oblige him. And he had done better than that, securing two staterooms for the party and the promised attentions of the ship's doctor and captain.  

He had met Mr. Vandeen that afternoon in the dim tavern by the Peck Slip that Alpheus liked to frequent. In Alpheus' corner table they spoke of Nancy's situation and the merits of her husband Edwin. Though Nathaniel Gale had only met Edwin a handful of times, it had been enough to impress him. He had made enquires about Edwin when he had emerged as a possible husband for Nancy, through certain contacts he had in New York City and in Connecticut. Edwin did not have the wealth that Erastus Davison had had, but times had changed; Nancy had her own money from Erastus' estate and it was the strength of the individual that was important now. Edwin, by all accounts, seemed a man ready to make his own fortune. He had come from a solid enough family, Nathaniel Gale had assured himself of that. The Comstocks were among the first of the New London settlers - pious Congregationalists and strong minded. His grandfather had been from Montville and there were still some relatives there; they were even distantly related, his great aunt having married Edwin's great uncle. But it was the fact Edwin had been raised away from all that, on a pioneer farm in northern New York state, where the work would have surpassed any Nathaniel Gale had been called upon to do that impressed him the most. He well knew the difficulties in making the transition from the farm to city commerce; only the distances Edwin travelled were much farther than Nathaniel Gale's own, and the success he had gained was greater still. It was men like Edwin would lead America to its future glory, he was sure - men who succeed by their own industry; men like Alpheus Vandeen and himself.