Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Jax thought he was meeting his uncle for something about the pack, maybe the location of Ariana’s father. He had guessed one part right, this was about Ariana but nothing to do with her hunter father.

Tears burned his eyes from all the anger coursing his veins as he listened to Marc explain what happened between him and Ariana in that cave. “I knew something was different.” He commented softly before he pulled back his arm and punched Marc across the face. “How could you do that to me? You know better than anyone how I love her.”

“I never wanted to hurt you. You mean more to me than you can ever know Jax but during the full moon I didn’t have the control to fight it anymore. She’s my true mate.” He rushed to say the words before losing what little nerve he had.

His words felt like a physical blow, Jax bent as a new wave of cries poured from him. “No.”

“I’ve known from the minute I met her but I ignored it because you love her and she loves you. I’d rather die alone than ever hurt you like this. There’s more I have to tell you, I need you to know everything.” The air was thick with emotion of what was said and what was left unsaid, the way each world changed their lives.

Jax looked at the man he had considered a brother. “What?” he didn’t know how much more he could take.

“I went to see her. She left back to school so fast without understanding what was happening.”

Jax didn’t need him to spell it out, he saw the guilt clear as day across Marc’s eyes. “You slept with her again. For someone who feels so bad it didn’t stop you from doing it again.” He spat the words with condensing hate as his hands tightened again to deal another blow.

“You haven’t found your true mate and I hope you never do because I wouldn’t wish this conflict on anyone. Think of your first shift and the lack of control you felt through every part of your body, it’s like that Jax. I couldn’t control myself and neither could she.”

“She…” he had been trying very hard to ignore Ariana had let Marc touch her willingly. “I can’t do this right now.”

“No.” Marc was on his feet and blocking the door before Jax could take another step. “There’s more and you have to hear this. I didn’t sleep with her in California, it was only in the cave. Ariana’s control was as frazzled as mine for a reason more than the bond. She’s not human Jax.”

Jax knew he had to put all his anger and emotions to the side for a moment and figure this out. It wasn’t black and white, it was Marc his family and Ariana the girl he loved with every fiber of his being. “What?”

“Her eyes were yellow just like mine and yours. She doesn’t know anything and chalks it up to I was wrong but I know what I saw. There’s also something else.”

Jax groaned, unsure how much more his heart could break before killing him. “I don’t want to know any more about your time with her.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about. She’s pregnant Jax, with your baby.”

“How do you know it’s mine?” his gut clenched painfully with every word to acknowledge the betrayal.

“She found out before I touched her.”

“I need to be alone.” Jax was quicker this time and made it out the office and to his room in the matter of seconds. He shut the door and fell to the floor, giving into everything he was feeling.

Ariana and Marc were true mates, they’ve had sex.

Jax thought he was going to die as he tried to absorb that information. He knew deep down they hadn’t done it to hurt him, their control was nonexistent. He and Ariana barely had control with each other and they were only chosen mates. With the real thing he was surprised Marc had been able to go that long without making a move.