12: You're out

Later that day, Alison said goodbye to Noel. She entered her house to meet her mother's glare. Shit

"You skipped History, huh?" Jessica asked coldly.

Ali shrugged. "What if I did?" she retorted, not realizing her mistake.

Her mother raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me?"

"I did skip history."

"Why?"

"It's boring," Ali answered boldly again. For some reason, stepping into new territory got her adrenaline running.

Jessica seemed startled, but she kept the strict tone on her voice. "You won't skip any class anymore, you hear me?"

"It's not like you'll be there to stop me." Since you're never here.

Suddenly, Jessica charged towards her daughter. She stopped a few centimeters away from Alison's face, which didn't look threatened. Instead, she looked ready to take on a challenge. "Skip class again and you will be forbidden to leave the house after school. No cellphone, too."

"You didn't hear me, right? You're not here to stop me."

"Then I'll guess I'll have to be."

"Cool." Ali turned around and walked away fast enough so her mom wouldn't be able to grab her arm and literally stop her. She had had the last say on this argument and honestly? It felt incredible.

x-x-x

Emily was with her friends on Tuesday morning by the school's lockers. Suddenly, Maya--her new neighbor--approached her. "Hey, Fields," Maya said, trying to imitate Mrs. Hat's adenoidal voice. "You didn't answer my question yesterday."

"Do you like someone?"

"W-what?"

"You sound so engaged in Pip's character when you read him out loud."

I was reading out loud? Emily asked herself. "He's a good character..."

"Shh!" Mrs. Hat hissed at them.

Emily rubbed the back of her neck and then looked at Ali, as if for seeking for help. "Um..."

Last night, Emily had texted Alison, saying Maya seemed weird. Was that question the motive? Ali wondered, but before she could ask what it was, Maya spoke.

"Oh, I see." Maya smirked. "I knew you liked girls."

Everyone's eyes widened, their conversation getting attention. Alison first glanced at Emily and then back at Maya. Emily liking... girls? "You're high."

"I just have eyes. First thing Emily did when I met her was check me out. But she's totally into you."

"Listen, you dumb whore, I don't know who you think you are or what pot you smoke, but I really don't care," Alison spoke loudly. "I know you were kicked out of your old school, so you can't go back, but stay away from Em." Ali took Emily's hand and dragged her out of the scene to the empty parking lot, never looking back. "You okay?"

"I can stand up for myself."

"Can you?" Alison asked, knowing for a fact that Em wouldn't have.

"Two months ago you weren't like this!" Emily snapped.

When did the conversation turn to Ali? Why was Emily attacking her? Maya was the one who had started it, making false accusations. Meanwhile, Alison had been just saying facts: Maya was a junkie--Ali had stalked her on Facebook after texting with Emily. "I wasn't like what?"

"Like a b-bitch! A liar!"

Alison was taken aback. This wasn't like Emily, yet she kept her front. "Who sharpened your tongue, pretty girl?"

"You, Alison. I don't fear you because I know this isn't you. I tried understanding, but you've become someone to be afraid of. And while you're that person, I don't wanna be your friend."

Alison was speechless, realizing she became her biggest fear: Her mother. She hadn't felt scared since she knew she could stand up for herself. But something about hearing Emily's words made her whole body tremble. As Emily turned the other way, Ali ran up to her and stepped in front, looking truthfully into her eyes. "I don't wanna lose you... You're right, I'm sorry. I just—I had to become this... monster to make Ian go away."

"Ian? Melissa's boyfriend?"

"Yes, he... he harassed me in Cape May. I didn't tell anyone because I thought it was pathetic how scared I was of him. That first day of class, when you found me on the locker room, he had been coming for me, but then he'd heard a voice and left."

Emily should have known. When she'd come to Ali's practice, Ali had given him quick glances. She thought Ali was just drained from running, but she looked terrified for a few seconds. How Ali would only turn to Cassie, never Ian. But instead, her jealousy towards Cassie had taken over her, clouding her head. Not to mention how Ali had spent several minutes in the bathroom when Ian and Melissa had shown up after their sleepover. "I... I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault-"

"Don't you get it? I should have known!" Emily cried.

"No, I should have told you when it happened." Alison took a step towards her, grabbing Emily's hands. They were warm compared to Ali's cold ones--her heart had stopped beating when Emily said she didn't want to be her friend anymore. "So don't blame yourself." Alison left one of Emily's hands to wipe Emily's teary eyes.

Emily calmed down a little at Ali's touch. She suddenly thought about Maya's words: I knew you liked girls. Was that really true? Was that the reason she was feeling so emotional?

Then, suddenly, Alison hugged her, sending shivers down Emily's spine. That's when Emily realized she didn't just like girls, she loved the one holding her.