Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

As Akin suggested, we eventually went into town to do a little shopping.

Since Stanton wasn't around to summon my clothes, we had to pick me up some new clothes and some other weird stuff that Akin highly recommended. I felt a little bad, though. Stanton had yet to return after Raven had scared him off. I really hoped Stanton hadn't taken what Raven said to heart. Raven was just angry about what happened to me.

Stanton wasn't that bad. Even if he had pissed me off this morning. I assumed he'd only snapped at me because I used to be a jerk to him. He acted as if I had told him to leave alone before, when all he wanted was to snuggle... and maybe have more sex, but I probably could've found a nicer way to tell him to fuck off.

I sighed, slumping down on a black bench in a small courtyard at the center of the shopping district of the city called Styx. The city was overflowing with people of all sorts of varieties of species, races, cultures. It was amazing to see so may different people all gathered in one place. And all the shops were different too. Some Gothic, some sweet and feminine, others pretty neutral and laidback. It was so cool!

But walking around hurt my feet, so I decided to take a break as I sat on the bench while Akin had dragged Hannibal into another Goth shop. Akin had finally caved in and forgiven Hannibal, but I could tell Hannibal was afraid of hurting Akin's feelings again, so he was literally doing everything Akin asked. If Akin asked for a kiss, Hannibal gave it to him. If Akin mentioned being thirsty, Hannibal was right there with a water bottle. I could tell it was making Akin guilty, though. He didn't like hurting Hannibal, but he was also still hurt by Hannibal's comment about the TItans.

Meanwhile, Jaques had gone off to call Lucifer with an update on his "mission". He looked strange in normal clothing compared to the battlesuit he'd shown up in. Now he just wore a black jean jacket over a navy t-shirt and matching jeans. Raven, too, had changed out of his battlesuit and now wore a black turtleneck and matching jeans and gloves as he took a seat beside me on the bench.

"Sorry about Jaques," Raven told me after moment, making me look at him to see him staring across the street at the shop Akin and Hannibal had disappeared into, "He's gotten a lot stricter since I came back. I didn't think he'd be treating everyone else the same." I shook my head.

"It's fine. I feel... like maybe I'm used to it. Is it normal to remember feelings?" I asked. A strange look passed through Raven's eyes, almost a haunting stare, but he blinked it away and smiled at me.

"Yeah. At least it's something. Hopefully you can start to remember a little bit more as time goes on." He replied. I chewed at my bottom lip, slumping down in my seat before looking at Raven.

"What was I like before?" I asked. He hesitated, making my gut sink. Was I really that bad? But Raven just smiled again after a moment. I was beginning to think all of his smiles were fake, though, because they never quite reached his eyes.

"You weren't bad, Alaric. You're just a kid. You did what kids did. You stayed out late, you tried to prove that just because you're the youngest, you're not the weakest. You're a lot like Akin in the sense that you hate being underestimated. You want people to know you're badass." He explained. I nodded slowly. I guess that sounded normal, but maybe... a little too normal?

"What about Stanton?" I asked. This time, there was no mistaking the aggravation that flitted through Raven's eyes as he clenched his teeth for a moment before taking a deep breath.

"You and Stanton used to be at each other's throats all the time. He always showed up for the sole purpose of annoying you. Which is why I was really caught off guard when you told me you were sleeping with him. Or rather, you didn't tell me, but I found out on my own after he defended you and your idea to come bring Akin home." He told me. I grimaced.