Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Yeah, so the next day wasn't any better.

Stanton was gone when I woke up, leaving behind only a small note that he'd gone off to do a little scouting and make sure that Hades wasn't in the area.

Good riddance, I thought bitterly as I changed into a pair of jeans and a black long sleeved shirt. I strapped a gun to my belt and hid a couple of daggers in my boots before I left the hotel and went downstairs, passing the woman at the front desk, who passed me a flirty smile that made me uncomfortable. I was used to people usually oogling Stanton. Whenever he was around me, as much as I loved him, he was obviously the more attractive of us two and people completely forgot I existed when they saw him. Not that I could blame them since I did basically the same thing.

Styx was a little more tamed in the morning, I noticed as I walked out into the street. Several shops were opening up and early bird customers creeping in. The artifical sun in the high was hot and made the dew that had settled on the cobblestones glitter. I headed down the street with the intention to find that weirdo Goth shop and interrogate that vampiress. Yeah, it was rude of me, but I needed to find Akin.

It was hardwired into my genetic make up that I depend on my family and swear loyalty to them. Lucifer had created me with a necessity for family. He probably didn't expect it to go this far, but genetics were ever specific and necessity for family meant I had to have Akin back at home where he belonged. Besides, how could he possibly be happy in this place? Sure, it smelled great and there was a variety of things to do. In fact, I felt as if I could stay here forever and still not get around to doing everything.

But it was the underworld. The place was crawling with unfriendly creatures.

And worst of all, because of that damned family dependency thing Lucifer gave me, I was already homesick. I missed my bed. Even though the hotel bed was soft and cushy compared to my bed at home, it still didn't smell or feel the same. It didn't creak in the right places. And I missed my room. I missed the palace and the smell of bacon and eggs in the morning. I missed running into Raven on the way out, and Jaques popping his head in every so often to check on everything. As annoying as my family could be, there was an ache in my chest that urged me to get back home and quickly.

I just hoped Bella didn't put up a fuss this time.

I rounded a corner to go to her shop, which was within my sights, when I smacked into someone and cursed, taking a step back to glare at whoever had gotten in my way. He was a large fellow, surly looking, with dark hair swept back from his face and dark dangerous eyes. He wore a navy overall uniform, and judging from the reeking stench of him, he worked at the docks or something. It was a horrid mixture of fish and oil.

"Get the fuck outta my way." He snarled. I twitched.

"You're the one who bumped into me." I returned angrily. Why was everyone treating me like this when they didn't even know me? Stanton did it because he was a grade-A douche, so that I accepted. But Theo? Bella? This guy? What made them so special?

"Buzz off, artificial." He sneered with malice and shoved past me, stalking off. I stiffened, watching him leave, too stunned to go after him. He knew I was artificial? How? It was rare that anyone had picked up on it, let alone point it out in the open like that. I suddenly felt oddly embarrassed as I rubbed at my cheek. What gave it away? Was it a scent? Did I smell fake? Maybe he was a werewolf, that was how he'd picked up on it so quickly-- what with their sensitive sense of smell.

I took my time crossing the street to get to Bella's shop, still feeling foolishly hurt by that guy's comment. Why did it matter what he thought? I didn't know that asshole. And he looked like a typical blue-collar worker anyway. He was so far beneath me, I wouldn't even shit on him.