Fun Facts About A Pirate in Time

In case you were wondering about my thought processes and the development of this book, here are some cool facts that you may want to know.

1.) I had around fifteen chapters of this book prewritten before I posted chapter one, which means I didn't put much attention into this book for a four month period.

2.) I never intended to put sirens or gods into this book. Instead, it was comments from one of my readers that inspired that entire spin.

3.) Neptune wasn't Jay's father until the words came out of his mouth. The story about Jay's mother and father meeting was completely true up until that moment.

4.) For a time, I seriously considered having Elizabeth choose Finn.

5.) Paulie Proctor was meant to show up as a pirate captain since the moment I first mentioned him in chapter one.

6.) Liam and Rose were created solely to get me out of writer's block, but they were such a big hit that I decided to keep them around for longer.

7.) My intention for this book was to have more historical context. It was set in 1779 because that was the middle of the American Revolution. I wanted them to get caught in the middle of the war, but that never happened.

8.) I created the mutiny because I was bored of where the story was going and needed to spice things up.

9.) Jay was meant to have a very loyal first mate and best friend, but I never got around to creating that character.

10.) I like hats. A lot. I own close to twenty-five hats, of those include two top hats, a bowler hat, and at least fifteen fedoras. I have yet to get a tricorn, but it is on my list.

11.) I'm secretly team Finn.

12.) I debated for a long time on whether Elizabeth would die at the end, or go back to 2008 with Jay.

13.) Thomas became a surprisingly likeable character, even though I never intended for him to be more than "the boy she bumped into".

14.) I'm not exactly sure how old Thomas is. At times I picture him as an eight year old boy, and others I picture him as fifteen or even sixteen.

15.) The Mermaid Kiss to get Elizabeth to transform was pretty much just to freak you guys out.

16.) The (maybe) cannibals were definitely inspired by Pirates of the Carribbean.

17.) Out of 147,000 reads, I can't believe not one of you is team Finn.

18.) Danny wasn't supposed to be a very big character, but I'm happy with how things looped around.

19.) I'm not exactly sure what color Jay's hair is. It's either brown or black, but I'm not sure if I ever decided.

20.) I never had them visit a city, but I meant to so Elizabeth would experience the same culture shock that Jay did at the end.

21.) The whole "throw her in the brigg" moment was to nudge you towards Finn and away from Jay, but it only worked for a millisecond.

22.) I actually feel really bad for Finn. Sure he overreacted and went a little psychopathic at the end, but in the mermaid world, it's not often that you find mermaids with the exact invert of your tail color. Had Elizabeth not had feelings for Jay, she would've been extremely happy with Finn. They could've been mates after all.

23.) I have no idea why I picked Salacia to save Elizabeth. It was supposed to be someone like Calipso, but upon doing some research, Calipso wasn't exactly the character I was looking for.

24.) The crew of the Marauder's Phoenix was slowly supposed to learn to like Elizabeth, but then I got bored and did the whole mutiny thing so that fizzled out pretty quickly.

25.) I didn't even think about what would happen to the children during the mutiny. Luckily Thomas was there to take care of them.

26.) I was tempted to have Phineas's ship pick them up from the Cannibal Island, but I figured it would be a perfect occasion to bring in Uncle Paul instead.

27.) I tried to respond to every single comment you guys left because you all mean so much to me and the fact that you not only read, but interacted with my book was amazing.

28.) I'd rather have swords than flowers.

29.) I have a hard time coming up with clear images of what my characters look like. Are there any celebrities/actors that you guys picture as Jay, Elizabeth, and the rest?

30.) Finch was supposed to be a bigger character, mainly to diffuse all the male characters, but she kind of faded into the background after she was mentioned. She may make a comeback in the sequel. I picture Finch as Zoe Saldana (Anna Maria from Pirates of the Carribbean).

31.) I have never seen or read the Crucible and by complete accident named my main character Elizabeth Proctor.

32.) Jeremiah Jackson was never supposed to be the son of Neptune, so it was a complete coincident that he shares a relation and a surname with Percy Jackson. That was not my intent and I didn't catch on until the fifth person called for the Percy Jackson fandom to unite.

-----+------+-----
A/N

If you guys have any questions you'd like to ask me or the characters, comment them here. I'm thinking about making a Q&A Bonus Chapter.

Thanks!
-Megan