37

"I can't believe you actually-" Jay mumbled for the fifteenth time today. After a brief discussion with my uncle, and a small episode of me playing the 'I thought you were dead for eight years' card the Black Ness had set sail for the Caribbean.

"I can't believe you actually doubted my abilities," I said in mock offense, placing a hand dramatically over my heart.

"I-" he shook his head and grinned, returning to his work of coiling ropes.

"-am eternally grateful?" I finished for him with a smirk.

He smiled and shook his head again while handing me a freshly coiled bunch of rope. I took it and hung it over my shoulder while I continued to watch him work.

"Sure, but, I want to show you something, actually."

I raised a brow, "And what would that be."

He grinned again and hung his own bunches of coiled ropes over his shoulder, "Come on."

I followed him below decks. He stopped once to hang all of the ropes next to assorted items for tending to the sails, but kept walking after that.

At the end of the hall, he disappeared momentarily into a room before coming back out with a sword in each hand.

I looked at him with my head tilted slightly to the side, "What are you doing?"

He weighed the swords in each hand before holding out the hilt of one to me.

"These are practice swords, which means they are dulled for faux fighting. I want to teach you how to fight with one."

I looked down at the sword he was holding out to me. The last time I'd held a sword, I'd killed a man.

"You want to teach me how to fight with a sword?"

"Properly, aye."

Only one question popped into my mind at that moment, "Why?"

"For several reasons. You impressed me, Elizabeth, that day back on the Marauder's Phoenix. It makes me curious to see what you could do with a sword you knew how to use. I think you could be a force to be reckoned with, with a little practice. I also wanted to thank you for setting us on this course, to the Caribbean. And, well-" I saw his ears turn a slight shade of pink as he avoided my eyes, "there aren't very many flowers in the middle of the ocean, so I settled for swords instead."

I couldn't help the smile that spread across my lips. He was so cute when he was flustered. I watched as he stood unsurely with the hilt of one sword still held in my direction. He was probably second guessing himself, wondering if this had been a mistake. To put him out of his misery, I reached forward and grabbed it from him.

Our eyes locked and I grinned, "Don't worry. Swords are way better than flowers."

He smiled too, relieved that I did not reject his offer.

"This one is called a cutlass," he told me, running his finger along the dullest edge of my blade.

"A cutlass," I repeated, weighing the sword in my hand a bit.

"It is lighter than many other swords, and slightly curved to help with its balance, which makes it a popular choice among sailors. It's light, quick, and dangerous."

"What about yours," I asked, meaning his actual sword, which was strapped to his hip, not the practice one.

He looked down at it and pulled it out. "It is called a rapier. It is straight and thin, making it a very agile weapon."

"Interesting," I mumbled as I looked at it, "How long have you been..." I trailed off, knowing he'd be able to tell what I meant.

"Since I was both strong enough to lift a cutlass and old enough not to hurt myself with it."

I smiled, imagining a little Jay trying to pick up a sword.

"Come," the real Jay pulled me back to the present, "Let's go above deck where there is more room."

------+-----+------

"This is hopeless, Jay," I said as I wiped a fresh gleam of sweat from my forehead and lifted the cutlass for the millionth time.

"Nothing is hopeless," he assured me as he lifted his own, "You just have to build muscle memory and become comfortable with your sword. Now, if I sweep towards your knee from the side..."

I twisted my wrists and held my elbows up, making my sword point downwards and block his slow motion attack.

"Good," he said, "and if I come from above..."

I pulled my sword so that it was horizontal above my head, also blocking that attack.

"See?" Jay said as his face leaned a little closer to me with our swords still crossed. "Nothing is hopeless."

I could feel his breath fanning across my face. Suddenly, I wasn't thinking about sword fighting anymore.

I felt my face heating up, and before I could realize it, Jay had leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on my nose.

He released the tension on our swords and we both pulled them down and rested them against the wooden planks beneath us. He didn't back up though. Then again, neither did I.

"Don't worry, Elizabeth," he said into the space between us, "I'll make a pirate out of you, yet... in time."

Then he leaned in and kissed me, again. On the lips this time. It was short and sweet, and when he pulled away he smirked and whispered, "Swords up. Let's practice that last one again."

------+-----+------

A/N

Hey guys!

It's about time she learns how to use a sword, don't you think?

How did you like this chapter?

What was your favorite part?

What do you think is going to happen next?

Thank you for reading!

Vote. Comment. Share.

-Megan