16

A couple thuds on the cabin's outer door disrupted the game I was playing with the children. One could never go wrong with I Spy, in my opinion, but after a few hours, the game becomes a little repetitive. Especially when you're sitting in the only optically stimulating object for as far as the eye could see. Needless to say, I was grateful for the interruption, unlike Rose, who had never played the game before and was absolutely thrilled after each round.

I opened the door only to find Thomas, the cabin boy I had first met, standing behind it. He had three plates precariously perched between his arms, and I safely assumed he had kicked the door to get my attention.

"Hello, Thomas," I smiled as I stepped aside, allowing him to come inside.

"Hello, Miss," he walked past me and slid the plates onto the Captain's desk, "I couldn't help but notice yer predicament in the galley earlier, and I...," he gestured towards the plates.

I think that might've been the most words the boy has ever said to me, and I was determined to keep it going, "Thank you, Thomas. That was a very kind thing to do," his cheeks reddened a bit at that and he looked away in a feeble attempt to hide it. I smiled, "Would you like to meet the children?"

Liam was probably only a few years younger than him, and I had a feeling they might take to each other.

"S'okay, Miss," he said, glancing at the door with a slightly saddened expression, "I should be gettin' back to work."

A hand on his shoulder stopped him from turning and walking out the door. He hesitantly met my eye.

"Thomas, it's not good to work all the time. If you need a break, I'll let you hide in here for as long as you need," he looked uncertain, so I continued. "If you get caught, I'll take the blame."

"I can't ask that, Miss."

"You don't have to ask," I told him honestly, "Besides, I do need help with these two from time to time. They're quite the handful."

Rose took that opportunity to run out and tug on the ends of my shirt, chanting, "I Spy, I Spy!" with just as much enthusiasm as she had an hour ago. I shot Thomas a pointed look.

Liam followed moments later, taking his sisters hand and pulling her back towards the bedroom, "Come, Rose. You're being bothersome."

She squealed happily and tugged Liam's arm to get his attention, "Brown!"

He groaned in response, "Everything in here is brown."

Thomas watched the siblings with amusement gleaming in his eyes. He turned back to me with a heavy sigh.

"Perhaps one o' these days, but fer now I am needed on deck."

"I understand," I assured him as I noticed the boat beginning to creak under the force of the squall, "Come anytime. And thank you again for the food, Thomas."

He sent me a shy nod before spinning on his heel and walking out the door. I sighed as it closed behind him, rubbing at the tension in my neck before turning to the desk. Upon further examination, I found that each plate held a rather unappetizing slab of dried meat, a few stale biscuits, and a pickle. Oh well, what more can you ask for?

"Hey, ya wee buggers," I called in a mock pirate accent, "Come get ye dinner 'fore I eat it all meself!"

We were all very hungry, being as we missed breakfast and this ship doesn't serve lunch in order to save up the rations, so the children came flying out of the bedroom like they'd never seen food before in their lives.

Thankfully they didn't put up a fuss over the quality of the food. The biscuits were harder than stone and the meat was so salty I would've guessed it'd been marinating in sea water for months if it weren't for the fact that it was as dry and tough as the biscuits. Hardtack, I believed they called it. Hardtack and unintentional jerky. I didn't even want to know what kind of meat it was. I was having trouble keeping it down as it was.

By the time we were scraping our plates clean, the sky outside had darkened considerably. The groaning of the woodwork around us hinted at the strength of the storm, and I decided I would definitely be staying below decks for its duration.

"I Spy?" Rose asked with an almost irresistible expression on her face. I knew better than to fall for it though.

"I think it's time for bed, actually," I quickly diverted the subject. Liam seemed just as relieved as I did.

I left little room for argument as I picked her up and whisked her towards the bed, sliding her under the blankets and making room for Liam as well.

The wind outside was heavy, and cloaked us in a subtle uneasiness. Wordlessly, I laid down beside the children and draped my shoulder around them.

The rocking of the ship was already quite dramatic, though I knew it was about to get much worse. I only hoped nothing bad was going to happen.