Untold Secrets

Prologue

******

"Milan!"

I sauntered my gaze until my stare locked onto Paige's emerald eyes that glistening from the sunlight. The corner of her lips were curling into a smile as she twidled with her phone and twisted a curl between her finger. I don't know how she managed to look effortlessly perfect all the time. She totally rocked the baggy sweat pants, loose-fitting shirt, and a messy bun with frizzy strands poking out without looking tacky. As for me? No way. I'd probably scare a couple little kids out of their mind because of my clothing choice.

"What is it?"

She focused intently on her messages, biting her bottom lip for a moment until finally prying her eyes from it and training her eyes onto mine.

"It's Bryce," She said placing her phone on the wooden desk.

I gave her an apathetic grin before turning my attention towards my homework sprawled across the floor. I had a feeling this conversation was going to lead into the direction of how "cute" he looked at school today or at least something pertaining about him. I was just sick of her blabbering about him all day, every day.

From the moment she laid her eyes on him, she thought she was in love. Of course I thought he was pretty attractive, but he didn't seem like my type at all. He just seemed to have such a big...ego. With his clique of jock friends and his presence around the populars 24/7, it gave me the impression that he was a total self-centered, immature jerk and player. But surprisingly all my assumptions about him were nowhere close to what he really was like. As of last summer when we all became the best of friends, we both deliberately began to learn that he was completely down to earth, sweet, caring, and funny. And because of this, Paige loved him even more...and believe it or not, I myself slowly began to fall for him also.

She never mentioned her major crush to his face but you could sense that he felt the same about her. From the way his smile lighted up when he spoted her, and his sudden loss of words when he stumbled upon her all pointed all pointed to the conclusion he had feelings for her. More than just friends.

And yes, I admit that I was pretty jealous. Lets get real, who wouldn't be when your crush is head over heels for your best friend?

"What does he want?" I asked, ending the moment of silence floating throughout the room.

She pulled her lingering curls that cascaded well past her shoulders into a loose ponytail before breaking the news that would both upset and shock me forever.

"He asked me out!"

My heart seemed to stop as she revealed the information she was so thrilled about. Although her emotions were filled with nothing but utter joy, mine on the other hand was an aggregation of anger, frustration, and sadness. I clenched my hands, digging my finger nails into my clammy palms, fighting the tears that formed at the corner of my eyes, making everything suddenly appear blurry. This all seemed like a nightmare. Something I dreamed wouldn't happen...yet hear I am listening to those painful words I hoped I'd never hear ring through my ears.

I plastered a fake smile that was forced across my face to hide the real feelings occuring inside of me and muttered,

"Thats uh, great...,"

"I know, right? He said that he always had feelngs for me and he finally got the guts to tell me. And he even changed his status to in a relationship."

I picked up my pencil and began working out a math problem praying that this was a dream or perhaps an illusion, when the voice of Paige brought me back to reality.

"What should I wear for our date?" She held up two choices of clothing, staring directly at me as if my descion was more important than hers.

"I really don't have time for this Paige...,"

Her smile instantaneously faded as she set down both pieces of clothing on the arm of the chair she was comfortably nestled in.

"So are you telling me you don't care?"

"No Paige. I'm just saying that I have better things to do right now instead of choosing clothes for your date - Important things like homework."

She sat there dumbfounded for a split second before opening her mouth to speak. Nothing but a puff of air was all that escaped her perfectly glossed lips that was parted in an O shape. As she swiveled around in the chair, a tinge of guilt entered my emotions. I didn't mean to just snap on her like that... With the news she just told me it was kind of difficult not to.

"Paige, I'm sorry. It's just that...,"

"It's just what Milan?" She asked as she turned back around, glaring steadily at me. Her lips were tightly pursed together in a pout, and her fists were clasped firmly.

I contemplated with myself if I should tell her the truth. One wrong move and she could snap at me, I thought. I took a while but eventually I shook it off and opened my mouth to talk without anymore thoughts or hesitation.

"I was just jealous that Bryce asked you out. I kind of...liked him...,"

Judging from her expression, she was absolutely shocked. She so wasn't expecting that. I watched her slowly stand up and glance around my room before retrieving her bag that was thrown in the corner of the wall.

I planted my eyes on the confusing problems staring before me, wishing I could take back everything I said when she eruptively interrupted my thoughts by saying,

"I'm leaving."

"Uh, ok. Good luck on your date tommorow...."

She slowly backed out of the room, and added a slight grin that was obviously forced before shutting the door close. Little did I know that it would be the last time I see her before her disapperance.