[ XXXVIII ] Of Angelic Blood

A surge of flames erupted from the gorge, the collapse of the cave shaking the ground beneath them. Kieran was ducking, arms over his head the explosion raged on below. Adaon whistled, barely audible over the roar of the scene below them. His steed shot up in the sky, landing gracefully but not stopping completely. Adaon had grabbed Kieran by the arm and was pulling him up on the horse behind him as it began to take back off into the sky. The shelf they were lying on was breaking away slowly, large pieces falling into the area below. Kieran found himself smiling as the wind of faerie whipped through his hair, the fresh air masking the stench of fire and chemicals. He missed it, he always had – The Wild Hunt. The Unseelie Court was never his home, the freedom of the skies was. The horse went barreling downwards, the thrill sparking adrenaline in his veins. Hooves met the ground in a perfect rhythm, galloping through the woods until three familiar figures appeared.

"Kieran!" Mark shouted, Cristina and Jaime on each side of him. "We heard the explosion."

Kieran jumped off the back of the horse, giddy from the flight and the success of their plan. He approached the group of them, a smile on his face.

"So it worked?" A smile was spread wide across Jaime's face, an expression that Kieran had yet to see from him. It was infectious, and Kieran couldn't help but smile back.

"It worked."

Adaon was still mounted, a lazy smile playing on his lips. "It is done. Now, it is time you leave this Court."

Kieran stepped towards his brother and bowed at the waist, a sign of great respect. "You have my thanks, brother. And I will see you again very soon." Adaon inclined his head and took off, his horse riding off into the woods. The sun was painting the sky in the soft orange of sunrise as Kieran turned back to his companions – the pale-haired faerie Shadowhunter who had been with him through everything and the lovely Shadowhunter princess who had showed him a new way, "Let's go home," he said. And he realized in that moment that maybe the wild night air wasn't his home, but it was wherever these two were.

***

It had been quiet in the clearing since their run in with the Seelie Queen. After they said the words of farewell over Annabel, they posted up on the far side of the clearing. She had killed Livvy and they could never forgive her for that, but she was never meant to be here. She was scared and alone, and deserved the farewell nonetheless. Nature surrounded them here, the trees seeming to lean in around them. It was weird and unsettling, and Emma wanted them to stop. Kit was trying to bandage Ash but he simply put up his hand.

"I will be fine, golden one, thank you. I am fae, I heal faster." He said, sitting up against a rock beside him.

"You can call me Kit, you know. Although I don't mind 'golden one,' makes me sound like a prize." His eyes were glittering, but there was a deep sadness hidden in them. Fear for Ty.

"One thing you'll learn very fast, Kit doesn't need the ego boost." Emma snickered, running her fingers through her hair before pulling it back into another braid.

Julian looked down at Ash's hands as a small butterfly landed on his finger. It settled on the leather of his gloves, the brightly colored wings slowly opening and closing, "Why do you wear those gloves? You have ever since we have been here?"

Ash looked up at him, his green eyes very different from Clary's now in the sun; almost a seafoam green. "Is it not customary to wear gloves?"

"You're answering questions with a question like a faerie does." Emma pointed out, crossing her arms.

"Well, as you said yourself I am also a Shadowhunter, so you know that I can lie. So what good would answering a question with a question be unless I am truly seeking an answer?" They continued to watch him as he slowly pulled off both gloves, revealing long, pale fingers. Nothing out of the ordinary until he flashed his right hand at them where black swirls of ink were visible – the Voyance Rune.