[ XV ] The Truth Hurts But Secrets Kill

"My lady." Julian bowed at the waist and Emma followed suit. The Queen smiled and motioned for them to come closer.

"Come, sit. Have a drink." Several faeries came out with drinks and food. The wine was a bubbly fuchsia color, petals floating atop the bright liquid. They both sat on pillows and took the cups graciously but exchanged a look. One of the first things you learned when dealing with Faeries was to never eat their food or drink. Most of it was enchanted and could trap you inside your mind for all eternity. Not particularly Emma's idea of a good time, so she simply held the cup in her hands. The Queen rose from her chaise and came to kneel on the pillow across from Emma and Julian. She was wearing a cream colored gown accentuated with gold trimmings. The gown was low cut and she smiled at Julian as she leaned forward to pluck a berry from the low table between them. His eyes remained fixed on her face, his expression remaining indifferent. Unamused, she sat back and popped the berry in her mouth.

"If it is alright by you, we would like to discuss the plans to stop the Unseelie King." Emma stated in a awkwardly formal tone. The Queen finally tore her gaze from Julian and looked to Emma. A rush of relief went through her now that the Queen wasn't trying to seduce Julian. It wasn't a surprise, he was objectively beautiful and the Queen loved to make people squirm. And something about the Queen's expression said that she knew she was making Emma do just that. Still, she kept her expression indifferent and voice even. "The King's reach is spreading throughout the Courts as I'm sure you have noticed. The blight on the lands is spreading as well."

She simply watched Emma speak, not appearing to be listening to what she was saying, "He is beautiful isn't he?" The question threw her off, and Emma clenched her mouth shut. "Such lovely eyes, and lips. Do you like the feel of his lips, Carstairs?"

"My lady," Julian cut in, noticing the uncomfortable tension in the room. The Queen cut him off before he could protest.

"So polite, is he always so polite?" She smiled and glanced to him before looking back to Emma, "I bet he's not quite so gentle in bed, is he?" Her smile was sharp, Emma felt a blush rise on her face. Julian had said the Queen told him there was a way to break the parabatai bond, she must know about their relationship. Still, she had no idea how to respond. Her fists were clenched at her side and her mouth shut tightly as her temper flared. You couldn't insult the Queen in her own home, if she truly wanted she could trap you in the Court forever. Emma knew that, it was a highly political situation. This is why Jace always went, she thought, he was good at speaking in a way that could make anyone trust him just like Julian could. Julian now looked like he was trying to hold in some less-than-polite comments himself. The Queen was beaming, feeding off the uncomfortable energy in the room, "Maybe I could find out for myself. Ruthless lovers always prove to be the best."

Emma snapped, "We know you're hiding something."

The Queen's head swung around to her, her blue eyes deadly, "Aren't we all, Emma? Don't patronize me in my own home."

"We are very sorry, but we need your help. We cannot stop the Unseelie King alone, you are very powerful and we know you can help us." Julian quickly apologized on Emma's behalf, she could feel his tension through the bond.

"And yet here you are without the Black Volume? That was our deal, wasn't it? If you cannot uphold your end of the bargain why should I be expected to hold up mine?" Her temper had cooled slightly, tipping a glass of the bright liquid past her lips.

"Because we know you want to remain in power. You are Queen of half of the Fae lands, he poses a threat to you. With our help, we could stop him and both of us would benefit." Julian's voice was still polite, but more stern now. The gentleness seeping out slowly.