Invisible Chapter 37

Chapter 37

This Gift of Joy

(Olivia)

I have never met Robin’s parents, but I know who they are the moment they step into the room. Her mother has the same wispy brown hair that is constantly escaping clips and bobby pins. Her father has her same pale skin and bright eyes. Robin stands between them, with my own family a step behind.

They already know, I realize. Evie’s red eyes betray her. Mom and Dad share a look half relieved that I am awake, half agonized because they too have already agreed to let Mason slip out of our lives, maybe for good. Robin and her family are the worst. Her parents’ calm, pleased expressions make me want to scream.

I don’t want to show them any weakness. I want to prove that I am strong enough to protect Mason, better suited to keep him safe than they are. Every ounce of strength I have goes into not breaking down. I pull my head up off Mason’s shoulder and meet eyes with Robin’s mother.

“You’re taking Mason?” I ask.

“He asked us to help him hide,” she corrects, “until his birthday when…if you take him home.”

Gritting my teeth, I stare her and Mason down. “When. When I take him home. That’s not up for debate.”

Mason’s mouth opens, but a scathing glare from me shuts him up. I turn back to Robin’s mom. “How exactly do you intend to keep him safe? We’ve been protecting him for twelve years, and we were doing a pretty good job of it until your daughter stumbled into our lives and set the Sentinels on our trail.”

I don’t even try to hide the vile look I shoot directly at Robin’s head. The look of shame I see in Robin’s eyes is only a tiny spark compared to what I think it should be. She’s the one who knew all the rules. She broke them once and it cost Eliana her life. Why didn’t she learn? Why did she egg on her relationship with Mason, putting him in danger and nearly getting us killed? It is almost painful to tear my eyes away from her and put aside my anger.

Looking back to Robin’s parents, I see my own anger reflected in their eyes. At first, I expect them to lash out at me for blaming their daughter, but they don’t. Robin’s father glances down at his daughter in disgust before looking back at me with a tight expression.

“Robin’s actions will be dealt with at a later time, and I can promise they will be appropriately harsh. Right now, Mason is our main concern. If he is indeed one of the Aerling ruling class as Robin has speculated—which we are inclined to agree with—it is imperative that we send him into hiding as soon as possible. Tonight, in fact. Arrangements have already been made.”

He stares down at me as if every word that just came out of his mouth didn’t stab me in the heart. “Tonight?” I squeak.

Robin’s mom nods. “You were smart to get rid of the body of the Sentinel that attacked you, but it won’t be long before he’s missed. They’ll come back for Mason if they believe he is still with you, and they won’t stop with just his life.”

“How …” I gulp in a painful breath. “How will they know he won’t be there? They can’t see him. They won’t be able to tell he’s gone. Won’t they just come looking regardless and…and kill us?”

Mom and Dad glance at each other worriedly. Mom pulls Evie in under her arm and tries to squeeze away the fear in her eyes. I feel weak and wobbly as Mason’s arm tightens around my shoulder. Is this all for nothing? Will we die no matter what we do? A flash of selfishness says that if we’re all going to die, I’d rather spend my last few hours in Mason’s arms than waiting alone for news that the Sentinels have found him.