Invisible Chapter 29

Chapter 29

The Reason

(Mason)

Sitting on Olivia’s bedroom floor instead of lying next to her is torture. Torture I deserve for being such an idiot, but torture nonetheless. After the attack, we spent an hour cleaning up the kitchen in silence. I watched her every move, my stomach twisting as new bruises joined the ones already there from the last attack. The urge to storm across the street and tear every Sentinel hiding in there apart was nearly impossible to resist.

Realizing that I would have to leave Olivia to accomplish that—along with the fact that I have no idea how to fight—kept me at bay. When the kitchen was clean, Olivia finally spoke to me, but it was only about what happened. Anything personal got ignored. She tried to pretend my refusal to be more than a few feet away from her annoyed her, but the way her body relaxed when I got closer gave her away.

Thinking about her makes it impossible to resist being next to her. I scoot closer to her bed and curl my hand around hers. She sighs in her exhausted sleep, but doesn’t wake up. We spent the rest of the afternoon arguing about the attack. I still thought she should have called the police. Olivia argued that they would start to think something was wrong with us after the break in, her being attacked, and now being attacked again. It would attract attention, something we can’t really afford. Plus, neither of us really thought they could do any good against the Sentinels.

Olivia didn’t even want to tell her mom and dad, which surprised me, but I agreed. All it will do is make them worry even more. Neither of them has any idea about how to get rid of the Sentinels, either. This whole situation is beginning to feel hopeless.

Every day I hold out hope that I won’t get Olivia and her family hurt or killed. I hope that I’ll figure out how to stay here past my eighteenth birthday, how to fix what I broke with Olivia. I cling to my hope, but reality edges in closer and closer. Tonight, I feel as if it is about to win. There’s only one person left to turn to for answers and hope.

I pull out my phone and open a message to Robin. Any new info from your parents or grandma?

It’s one in the morning, so I don’t hold my breath for a text. I just need something to distract myself with and answers seem like a good distraction. My foot starts tapping after five seconds.

Not much, comes Robin’s reply ten minutes later. Followed by, Sorry.

My fingers start tapping madly. Nothing about how I can stay here or why I have 2 go back?

It’s not easy 2 get answers without them figuring it out. It’s hard to tell through texts, but I swear she just snapped at me.

I’m not feeling all that polite either. I need answers, Robin.

Her response seems to take an eternity. I start to think she must have fallen asleep before I finally get another text.

Something happened, didn’t it?

I don’t respond right away. It’s not about trust. Not exactly. Robin wants answers. She knows she can get them if she pushes hard enough. Pushing could reveal me, though. We both know that’s a risk. Olivia would never take a risk like that, but I know I could push Robin far enough if I really wanted to. I just wish I knew what would happen if I did.

Olivia lured a Sentinel 2 the house & he almost killed her.

What!? Robin replies instantly.

Trying to explain that I wasn’t in on the plan and Olivia’s motivations will take too long through texting. I can tell her more tomorrow. For now, back to the answers.