Invisible Chapter 30

Chapter 30

A Wonderful Gift

(Mason)

Riding to school with Olivia and Evie this morning, I consider my next words and actions very carefully. I can now freely admit that lying to Olivia was the absolute stupidest thing I could ever have done. Doesn’t do me a lot of good at this point since she pretty much ignores everything I say. I tried a dozen times yesterday to explain, but she refuses to give me even a second to speak. I have no intention of giving up, but I have to be very careful.

Olivia pulls into a parking space and reaches for her door handle. I grab her arm gently, but firmly. Her body stiffens at the contact. The sick feeling in my stomach has to be ignored for now. She won’t look at me, and doesn’t say a word.

“I won’t be in class this morning,” I say slowly.

Olivia tries to jerk away from me, but I hold on tightly. She continues to struggle for a few seconds with Evie staring silently. I feel her fingers land on my shoulder so she can listen in. I don’t shake her off.

“I need to get some answers …”

“From Robin?” Olivia snaps, still refusing to look at me.

I wish I had any other answer for her, but I don’t. “Yes.”

Olivia tries to yank her arm away from me, but I won’t let go.

“This isn’t about Robin,” I say, “or me and Robin. There isn’t even a me and Robin. I just need answers from her.”

I watch as Olivia’s eyes turn molten. “It sure as hell looked like there’s a you and Robin,” she seethes.

“I was just …”

With strength I’m not prepared for, Olivia wrenches her arm away from me and nearly throws herself out of the car. Her eyes drill into me. “I don’t care what you do with Robin, or what answers she has. I’ll never trust a word that comes out of her mouth. Not after …” Olivia swipes at her eyes angrily. “She proven more than once that she’ll betray her friends if it gets her what she wants.”

She slams the door and storms toward the school. Evie gets out of the backseat slowly. She opens my door and pretends to rummage around, giving me time to get out without rousing suspicion. I start to turn away, expecting Evie to ignore me as well. Her gentle touch on my arm stops me.

“What did you mean about you and Robin?” she whispers.

I want to tell Evie everything, hope she’ll tell Olivia for me. Not only do I doubt Olivia would believe her, but it’s the coward’s way to do this. I need to tell Olivia what an idiot I am and beg for her forgiveness myself.

“I made a very bad decision, but I never meant to hurt Olivia. I was trying to protect her. I just went about it in the most idiotic way possible,” I admit.

Evie zips up her backpack slowly. “Why would dating Robin protect Olivia? You had to know it would kill her.”

Running my hands through my hair, I sigh heavily as my shoulders slump. “I guess I didn’t realize how much it would hurt her. I’ve spent so much time knowing she doesn’t love me like I love her that I thought it would be easy for her to forget one kiss and move on, be safe. I never expected…this.”

Evie squeezes my hand softly. “I don’t think she realized how much she loved you until she saw you with Robin, either.” Her voice is sad. It adds to the weight in my heart. She looks up at where she estimates my head to be. “You need to explain to Olivia. This is killing her, thinking she’s lost you.”