28. home

This is a new chapter of Attraction - and I'm expecting all of you to thank me for this scene :P

Anath was not happy when we hugged her goodbye. "Don't leave now. I want to play. When will you come back?" The questions poured out in quick succession.

Tom crouched, smiling like I'd never seen him smile before. "We'll come back soon, and I promise to play with you for an entire day."

The parents laughed, both of them. "Oh, you don't know what you're promising," Luke said. "But I'm glad to hear that it wasn't a onetime visit." The last words tinged with a flavor of uncertainty.

Tom sported his half smile. "I think I can keep up with a child."

"I'm not a child. I'm six now." Anath held five fingers in the air, furrowed her eyebrows and added one finger with her left hand. It caused another round of laughter.

We were among the last to leave the party even though we had a good way to drive. Tom had said something about six or seven hours, but that was without traffic jams. Or pit stops. I was in serious need of a few touches that went beyond hand holding. Not because Tom was holding out on me, but everything that had happened over the weekend had me all kinds of emotional.

"We might come and visit as well," Lizzy said. "It's been a while since we drove that car longer than around town." She stood on her tip toes as she hugged Tom close.

"Sounds like a plan." Tom moved on to his brother, hesitating. Their hug came with caution, but both of them held on. The embrace carried meaning and perhaps the words none of them had dared to speak.

"So, Mom told you to call?" Luke asked.

"Yes. I think I'll give it a few days, but I'll call eventually."

"And Dad?"

Tom shrugged. "I wasn't expecting him to understand."

"If Pops were alive, I bet he'd talked Dad to reason."

"Maybe."

"Well, maybe I can try. I'm quite good at talking after all." Luke replied, keeping a light tone.

Tom let out a tired chuckle. "You've always been the better brother."

"Now that's just lies. I remember you telling them to our parents, and to me on occasion, but I thought you'd outgrown the need for loose tales." Luke smiled gently, appearing almost wistful while talking about old memories.

A solemn shadow lingered in Tom's gaze. "Maybe one day I'll deserve your forgiveness, but not today Luke. Not by a long shot."

Luke leaned closer. "I love you, big brother. I'm just happy to get another chance. Life never was the same without you."

I almost choked on emotions, feeling Luke's message hit me right where it hurt. But there was a healing power to his words. No, life was never the same when you lost someone dear and close, but it was possible to live another life. Or at least it was for me. I gripped Tom's hand tighter. A life with Tom was more than enough for me. I ached to crush him in a hug, but this was their moment. I was a bystander, watching something precious take place. Something raw and powerful—painful even.

We kept things light after that. There had been much more to say, but perhaps this had been just the right kind of reunion, ending with a pleasant goodbye and hope for the future.

It wasn't until we sat in the car that Tom began to cry. His entire body shook, trembled. There was nothing left of his armor. Sometimes it was too easy to only see his strength and forget that he needed companionship just like everyone else. The realization made me all warm with love. I'd never ever thought that he would need me. Ever. Not in this way at least.