8. fraudulent is the way to go

This is the rewritten version of Attraction

By the time I'd found the courage to leave the bathroom, three people had left. One remained, and judging by the frown across his forehead, he was as confused as I was. Instead of sitting down while waiting like a regular person would, Tom stood in the middle of the living room, arms crossed.

"Where are the others?" I asked.

"They left."

"Why?" I wasn't even sure why I asked. I had a pretty good idea why they'd left us alone, but I wanted to buy myself some time. Fleeing into the bathroom again wasn't an option. To find my center, I took a deep breath and tried to relax my shoulders.

"We need to talk," he said, serious and perhaps a little bit intimidating in a sinfully sexy sort of way that I'd rather not consider.

"True. I'll get us some water." Speeding into the kitchen, I tried to slow my thoughts. I had to keep a level head for this to work out—if I even wanted it to work out. I wasn't sure. Tom was as hot as steaming cocoa, but getting married to the guy was a bit of a stretch. I knew next to nothing about him.

My hands shook as I retrieved two glasses from the shelf—part from excitement and part fear. If he was a sensible guy, he would go back on his word and reject Dante's idiotic proposal. I chuckled at the thought. In my head, a proposal was the epitome of romantic, in a cheesy kind of way, but this wasn't only an administered third party proposal, it was a fake one. I doubted it could get any less romantic.

I returned to the living room, barely breathing as I gave Tom his glass. Our gazes met briefly, and I tried a smile before I took a seat on the sofa.

He didn't move, increasing the distance between us in more ways than one.

"I'm listening," I said, leaning back and attempting a casual pose.

Tom's rigid stance caved beneath a heavy sigh, and he claimed a seat on the other end of the sofa. Less distance, but still distant. "This is a bad idea."

My heart sank like a rock. "I think it's a fabulous idea." It wasn't, but his attitude lured out my you-say-no-I-say-yes personality.

He rolled his eyes, and for a brief moment, I glimpsed something of the man hiding behind that steely exterior. It was a guy who needed to let loose a little. The realization unleashed my confidence, and when I smiled, it was a real one.

"I get to stay, you get a husband, and we can live happily for the rest of our lives." I raised my glass in a mock toast.

He shook his head. "You're never serious, are you?"

"Seriousness is overrated. And, besides, if you're the serious one, I have to be the yin to your yang. Or maybe it's the other way around. I can't remember which one is the sun."

One of his eyebrows rose. I scooted closer. "Stop, you're making me jealous. I've always wanted to do that. I can only do with both. It's much cooler with one." I showed him my less than perfected skills of trying to arch one eyebrow.

The bewilderment flashing in his eyes was precious. I was making him uncomfortable, but he would have to get used to me at one point or another. Scooting even closer, I made sure to invade as much personal space as I could get away with. "Look, yin and yang." I held out my arm against his, comparing his striking skin with my next to translucent one. "We'll be perfect."

He tried to inch away, but the arm rest on the sofa captured him on the other side. "There is no we."

"Oh, but I think there is. We'll even get a signature on it."