Chapter Six - The First Dream

Mackensie was in a hallway.

A long hallway that had photos hanging on either side of the walls, a dark green rug with golden borders that ran from the beginning to the end. It was quiet and there didn't seem to be anyone.

Before she could make any more observations, she started to walk down the hall, as though she was being pulled by some invisible force.

With every step she took, the floorboards creaked underneath her feet despite having the rug.

She couldn't control which way she wanted to go.

At the end of the hallway, there was a light brown door.

She was facing it, and before she knew it she was reaching for the knob and opening it.

The door swung open and she stepped inside.

It was a bedroom.

But it was odd.

It looked old fashioned.

It was modestly decorated, with vintage posters and university flags hanging from the walls, baseball trophies lined up on the long dresser against one side of the room.

Looking around the room for more details, she started to hear music softly playing from one corner of the room. She turned to see a blocky, brown radio on the night stand.

The ones that you'd see in the early 20th century.

The song that played from it was instantly recognisable as something from The Wizard of Oz.

"Somewhere Over The Rainbow," right?

Mackensie could feel her feet being pulled at again and she started to walk again, this time to the window. It was the type that had a small seating area instead of a windowsil, and on it was a picture in a frame.

Propped on right in the middle, she walked over the to picture and picked it up.

It was a portrait of a young man, in a U.S army service uniform, smiling with eyes that shined with youth.

He looked familiar, but Mackensie couldn't pinpoint why and how...