Chapter Four

Chapter Four:

James tried to stay away from the twerps' table, but it proved impossible with Jessie constantly asking him questions about the diplomat and ordering that he do his best.

He also expected Ash was purposefully drinking as much water as he could to force James to come by just so he could non-verbally communicate that he still wanted help with the proposal.

James stayed strong. Ash would eventually have to pee or be so full of water he would burst open.

"Ash," Misty said between clenched teeth. "Stop looking at Jaime as if you want to battle him. This isn't Lumiose City. You can't just try to meet people's eyes all the time to force them to battle you."

"Oh, I know that," Ash replied sheepishly. "I'm sorry, Jaime."

But as soon as Misty looked away he glared again. James gulped. He would not help Ash propose no matter how threatening he was. James was a criminal, not a romantic super hero (though he wondered if that could be his next line of work).

Despite Ash's best attempts (including eating so slowly that Misty was worried he needed to go to the hospital), James had cleared their plates from the table and given them their bill.

Soon they would be out of the restaurant and out of Jessie's line of fire.

Things were going as smoothly as they could. Sadly Jessie would find out that James was not getting a Wailord of a tip, but it would not be the end of the world. They still had their jobs and he would have time to try and convince Jessie and Meowth that maybe they could settle down elsewhere, far away from the twerps.

James stood in the kitchen, watching Meowth put the finishing touches on a piece of chocolate cake. In about ten minutes the cake would be completely eaten and Ash and Misty would be out of his section, out of his life, forever.

He blinked. There must be onions around somewhere.

Jessie burst into the kitchen. "They're here!"

James' heart stuttered and fainted. "Come again?"

"The twerps! They're in your section! And that red headed brat still isn't prettier than me." Her face was lit with an excitement James had not  seen in years. There was no other way to put it- she was a twerp addict. "And they're sitting where the rich kid was sitting!"

She whirled on James, expecting an explanation. He stuttered. "He asked to move elsewhere. I have him sitting in the very back."

As far away from their section as possible. She didn't know what the diplomat looked like. He was made up, after all.

"Perfect." Jessie relished. "Well, if he's still wanting a show, you should get him ready for the biggest spectacle he has ever laid eyes on."

"Jessie-"

"Years  of planning and they're right in front of us," she stated, staring off  into a glorious daydream. "We're sure to catch Pikachu this time."

Meowth's ears twitched, too stunned to speak. James was sure he was trying to hear Pikachu through the kitchen door.

"The  boss will finally see why we've continued with our plan all these  years. He'll welcome us back into his good graces. We'll be rich!"

"Jessie-"

"And  it's all thanks to our teamwork." She beamed at the boys before flipping her hair. "Though I did most of the work, of course."

And then he exploded. "I DON'T WANT TO CATCH PIKACHU ANYMORE!"

Silence.

Jessie  and Meowth stared at him as if he had just confessed to being in love with a Jinx. He wouldn't have gotten such disbelieving looks if he had told them he'd committed murder.

His  throat clogged. He tried to keep the fear from surfacing onto his face.  Like most everything in his life he was unsuccessful. 

"You what?" Jessie asked, her voice eerily too peaceful.

Meowth's large eyes flitted between the two.

Enough was enough. James squared his shoulders. "I don't want to catch Pikachu anymore. I'm throwing in the towel."

"Who says you're allowed to do that?"

"I do. I'm not going to allow you to boss me around anymore."

"You don't have a brain to think for yourself!" Jessie hissed. "What are you going to do in life without us?"

"Who knows?" James said. "But at least I won't be a homeless criminal anymore."

Her eye twitched. "Take that back."

"We're losers, Jessie! We've spent so much of our lives stalking a child. We've lost over and over again."

"That's because you've been holding us back!"

James sighed. "I can't do this anymore. It's time to move on with life."

"Fine. We don't need you anyway," Jessie snarled. "Right Meowth?"

His whiskers bristled. "Er."

"You don't want to be Tom chasing Jerry forever, do you Meowth?" James asked.

"Uh-"  He lowered his gaze. "We've always been a team dis far. And we haven't  given up yet. Jessie's plan is sure ta work dis time."

Jessie crossed her arms, giving a nod of approval. "This is your last chance, James."

"You don't have to keep losing. You can both stop with me," James pleaded.

"We  may be losers, but we've always been family." Jessie placed her hand on  Meowth's shoulder. "And if you want no part of that you can go live  your life. We won't stop  you."

James gripped the couple's dessert plate, a slight tremor in his hands as he put it on his tray.

"Besides, with you gone more tips for me."

He straightened, ignoring Jessie. He didn't need them. He didn't need Pikachu. He would be just fine on his own.

He  pushed through the kitchen doors for the last time, the last food he would deliver. The last time he would ever see Team Rocket.

James would never blast off again.

James is not having a good day.

Give a hand for Ash and his dedication to get help. I would have given up.

By the way, guys. I love comments. So comment away.

Pokemon Question of the Day: If Team Rocket wasn't Team Rocket, what jobs would they have? It can be different ones for each of the trio since they all have their own specific skill sets :P

Thanks for reading!

-Flips