Chapter 2.1

It felt like I had been running in this maze forever. 

The footsteps were heavy, yet they weren't mine. The man had followed us into the maze. All I could do was follow the sapphire-eyed cat and hope for the best.  My legs were giving in and I didn't think I could run much longer, but when a crazy security guard that seemingly has a thing against your entirely family, it makes you pretty sure he's about to murder you.

He keeps muttering something about cinnamon buns and coffee. Odd combination, but whatever floats your security guard boat, dude. After a few minutes, I came to a large sewage pipe that could probably a whale could be put through if someone was careful enough. Though I didn't want to go through it, I felt like Fran would be near.

At the end of the maze, Faye.

That voice. What did the face say it was? M-Mabuka? I don't understand what this voice is, or what it wants from me. The end of light, the beginning of darkness. The prophet of Remor, the Princess of Death. All things that didn't make sense.

"Come on, Faye! Come on, Faye!" the white cat called after me. I can't believe I'm doing this. I trudge through the thick, milky water and find something floating in it. It's a photo of mother, father, Fran, our cats, me, and... Aunt Grace. She never liked me. I don't understand what my problem was. She was fascinated by Fran, every little thing she did. She didn't care for me one bit. It's part of my uprising as a cold and distant Silent generation teenager.

But the worst part about the photo was that my parents faces were hollowed out and blood was gushing through. But Aunt Grace sat there, smiling as if this was a part of some sick, twisted plan. But she loved Fran too much to put her through being an orphan, so it didn't add up. Snow appeared nearly transparent in the photo, reminding me of how she had left all those years ago. Fran's eyes were bleeding, and my eyes are dreadfully evil.

With a scream I throw the photo back into the sewage and rushed through the pipe. No doubt the security guard had given up looking for me to find more cinnamon buns and coffee. Not event the staff knew how to make it through the maze, and even if they did I doubt they would crawl through a sewage pipe. But I had a motive, a sister.

The Keeper of the Key.

I don't know where my mind gets these things. But it seemed like such a fitting description for the little girl with big, hopeful eyes and the little yellow dress. But me, as Mabuka had stated..? I was given the title of Prophet of Remor, Princess of Death. It's not fair. Do I look like a prophet? Like a twisted royal? No. I didn't think so. 

Two sisters. The Keeper of the Key and the Princess of Death. Which is more important? Which is good? Which is bad? It's atrocious. It's obscene. It doesn't make sense, but it fits nonetheless.

Finally I reach the end of the pipe and get out. I look around and find dead trees everywhere. Walking further brings me to a giant ant and a... beetle... pig?! It doesn't matter what it is, because it's dead as dead can be. 

And soon I'm kneeling towards this recently deceased creature, and I see something in my head.

The younger sister fed the creature berries. Delightfully, it accepted. But soon, the younger sister was swinging an axe above her head, and wore a terrified look on her face. She split the creature in half, and with a squeal, the creature died. "What? You are not my cat," the sister said.

And suddenly, I knew how this beautiful creature had died. It was beautiful. It was a small, delicate creature, and Fran had killed it. Maybe Mabuka's right. 

Fran's a traitor. I don't need her. 

I'm not going to save her after all. And I don't need Aunt Grace. I'll go live my life as a normal 14 year old girl, and --

That's crazy talk. I love Fran to death. She simply wanted to see Mr. Midnight again. I don't have the heart to tell her that he is dead. My cat ran away a while before, so she never had all that time to move on. She still thinks he's out there somewhere.

But then, a part of me does too.

I kept walking and soon I was met with a clearing. But there was more too it. Like I had seemingly just done, I needed to look beyond what's in front of me and observe the scene. Feel what happened here just before I arrived.

And soon, a well appears.

I walk over to it, observing it carefully. This is where Fran is, my intuition tells me. Or maybe it wasn't my intuition. Maybe it was something else entirely. Holding my breath, I jumped down the well.

And everything went black.