Chapter 1 -

As the sun slowly edged its way towards the western sky, he made his way up to the surface, desiring some time away from all the darkness and death that was his existence. Desiring solitude, he was careful to keep to the shadows, as he made his way silently through the forest. How long had it been since he last ventured out, weeks, months, time had little bearing in the underworld. Day after day, he carried out his duties, but that did little to comfort him in the fact that he got the shaft when it came to domains. His “dearest” brothers ruling over the sky and seas, while he was stuck ruling beneath them, a constant reminder that despite their supposed equality, they preferred him to be under their feat.

As he continued to walk, he came upon a clearing, and paused, keeping to the shadows. Before him, in the clearing a group of nymphs, frolicking in the sun, as he made the decision to turn back the other way, something caught his eye, and his breath catches in his throat. There in the group of nymphs, stood the most beautiful woman he had ever laid his eyes on. There was something about her movements, so graceful, so precise, yet so innocent. The sun gleamed off her golden hair, a circlet of flowers adorning it, only adding to her beauty. What little clothes she wore covered her just enough to cause him to desire more, longings awakening within him, he had forgotten were even there.

He remained hidden in the shadows, unmoving, losing all track of time. How long had he stood there, before the last rays of the sun cleared the horizon, leaving the clearing lit only by moonlight; his trance only broken, when the group moved out of the clearing, into the woods on the other side. He shook his head, trying to clear her image from his mind, but it was impossible. He turned and slowly made his way back down, into the darkness of his home, all his thoughts consumed by her beauty and grace. As he made his way into his palace, thoughts of her raced through his mind. His brother had been badgering him for ages now, that he needed to take a queen, was this a sign from the fates, was she his future queen.