Chapter 3: The Truth

"Eric, I have to find Morgana now. I cant stand keeping Melody away from the sea.  Shes the daughter of a sailor and mermaid!" Ariel reasoned.

"Ok what do you need from me?" Eric asked.

"Dont let Melody leave the castle. Shes part me so you have to make sure she doesnt go anywhere near thr sea." Ariel stressed.

"I will alert the guards. Good luck. Check in oMelody once a day please."  Eric kissed Ariel who nodded briefly before she disappeared into the night.

Ariel wadded into the sea glancing up at Melodys room. She released a huge sigh. "Im doing this for you Melody. You will understand one day." Ariel whispered.

She dove down touching the seashell as her legs melded together. She dove deeper in search of her father. "Ariel, child, how are you?" Sebastian asked.

"Fine. Have you seen my father?" Ariel asked.

"No, i just came back from the surface. Melody is very mad at you." Sebastian stated.

"I know." Ariel said defeated. "Can you please go and keep an eye on her?"

Sebastian sighed, "Ill never be able to say no to you."

"Thank you!" Ariel called as Sebastian swam up to the surface.

Meanwhile...

"Sebastian, where have you been?!" Melody asked kneeling by her windowsill.

"That does not matter Melody. The point is I...what is that?" Sebastian asked pointing to the thick gold chain.

Melody pulled it out revealing the seashell locket with her name engraved. "My mother gave me this last night. She said my grandpa gave it to me when I was a baby. Then she goes on saying that everything in the locket isnt true! I know she is hiding something ftom me!"

Sebastian thought carefully. "Melody, if I tell you the truth, will you promise me to do everything I say?" Sebastian asked.

"Yes, now please tell me everything you can." Melody begged.

"You remind me of your mother when she was a teenager." Sebastian mumbled.

"What?" Melody demanded.

"Onto the story. Your mother has never told you how she and her father got together did she?" Sebastian asked.

"No id ask her several times because all the other kids know their parents stories, but i dont know mine." Melody admitted.

"Her story had a happy ending, but she had to fight against all odds to end up with your father." Sebastian explained. "You have to promise not to inturrupt."

Melody nodded. As Sebastian continued. "Your mother was a mermaid until she had turned 16. I had just discovered your mothers grotto when she saw a big ship sail overhead. Against her fathers wishes Ariel witnessed Prince Erics 18th birthday. The celebration turned to horror as your fathers ship caught fire! He and his crew had to abandon ship. He rescued his dog, but sank to the bottom of the sea!"

Melody gasped. "You have to tell me what hapoened!"

"Melody, if you are here now, your father obviously survived. Your mother saved your father from drowning. However, Ariel had fallen in love. When her father found out, he was furious. Ariel had no choice to visit the sea witch Ursula to get her to turn Ariel human."

Melody furrowed her brow. "Ursula? That name sounds familiar." Before Melody could think, she was zapped into her memory of Morgana and Undertow.

"Melody?" Sebastian asked worried.

"Ursulas sister Morgana tried to kill me, didnt she?!" Melody asked outraged.

Sebastians mouth dropped open. Seconds later he said, "yes she did."

"Why didnt my mother ever tell me?!" Melody shouted pacing back and forth.

"Ariel didnt want you to get tricked by the octopus like she did when she was 16." Sebastian

"What?!"

Sebastian sighed, "Ariel struck up a  deal with Ursula. If she gave up her voice she would be granted human legs for three days. Duting that time Ariel had to get your father to kiss her. If he did she would remain forever a human, if not she'd become a mermaid and belong to Ursula."

"Dont tell me my mother signed it!" Melody said disgusted.

Sebastian nodded slowly. "She met your father and he helped your mother, but Eric wanted to marry the girl who had saved him and who had the beautiful voice. Obviously it was your mother, but there was no way to tell him that." Sebastian explained.

"What happ...?" Melody asked when Eric opened the door.

"Lights out Melody." He said walking in.

"Dad, where is Mom?" Melody tried.

"Shes visiting her family for the week." Eric lied.

"Where does her family live?" Melody tried again.

"In a neighboring kingdom." Eric answered.

"Before you leave, can you tell me when you first fell in love with Mom, please?"

Eric hesitated, "we met on the beach right outside the castle. She looked so beautiful in that make shift dress. I had the feeling I had found the one. Good night Melody." Eric kissed her forehead and shut the door.

Melody tried to sleep, but couldnt due to Sebastians story. "Sebastian, my mother is searching for Morgana isnt she?"

"Yes child she is." Sebastian yawned.

Melody sat up in bed deciding to disobey her mothers wishes again to try and find that slimy octopus. Quietly she wrote a letter leaving it on her desk for Eric to find. She slipped out of her room into the dark night.

She had the perfect plan to catch the evil octopus once and for all. But first shed have to get Morganas attention.