9: The Bond

It's amazing how much comfort the soul can take from a small action, kindness or even whimsical smile. How laughter can clear the clouds within our minds, if even for a moment.

A moment.

Sometimes, moments can last forever. By being recalled, mentioned or spoken about. Moments and memories are what make us.

If only we could choose the moments we dreamt about. Then perhaps even I would be able to find a moment's peace in my dreams.

* * *

"Welcome to The Bay Area," Viper sang out "one Harper Debroughs coming up soon."

Long ago the trees had traded place for vacant lands that just as the trees had made way for buildings and home structures of various magnitudes. Some shined in the early morning light, gleaming and looming over smaller buildings that although nearby, did not shine with the same prosperity. Graffiti covered various walls, bridges and the most random of objects of things in the street. The people walked around in a hurry, minding their own, but every now and then looking around to see who was out just as them. Although the sky was a mixture of softening blue, dark clouds still lingered in the sky, seemingly refusing to leave yet, filling the air with a coldness that did not make sense with the heat that could be felt starting to raise.

Children walked around with backpacks bigger than themselves, headphones blaring music that was no doubt, an attempt to wake them up. Packed buses drove by, people packed in tightly with annoyed expressions or resignation. Bright colors decorated buildings that cared about their presentation, while others merely flipped the open sign on stores that looked as if they could use a bit more TLC. As the car pulled out of the main street and down a narrow one, houses pushed together, tightly packed cars greeted us.

"Does she know where coming now?"

"She will when we get there." Viper muttered. Beside her Venom shook his head.

I'd take that as a no then. Glancing at Venom, I took in his side profile, the length of his jaw and the angles of his nose, the mark-free pale skin and long lashes that no one could call the lightest shade of blond, even silver would be a lie. His lengthy lashes, just as his swept-back hair was so white that when he moved, some strands looked transparent in light. His hair was shorter than I remembered, appropriately so, but just as thick as always. Paying closer attention to his cut I realized his sides weren't the same length as the rest, but his front strands although pushed back were longer than the actual back. It made me curious to know what he would look like with it pushed out to the front. Even being the tallest being in the car, his long legs no doubt cramped, he still sat straight in his seat.

Always one to be aware of his surroundings I knew he realized I was staring at him the moment I caught the faint sight of gold, the slight tilt of his head my way. He didn't have to turn or look at me to acknowledge it, but he knew I was looking at him. Annoyed I looked away and turned back to my window. I needed to get out of this car, we had been in here for far too long to be healthy. Not even the food or necessity stops had helped. Although we had showered and changed not long ago, a brief escape from the two siblings I still left as if they were attached to my very shadow, one more than the other and far to close for my liking.

Blessedly the car pulled into an apartment building parking lot, the structure painted a faded cream color with cement stairs that were accompanied by a black railing. A lof of the parking lot structure was filled with old cars and a few new ones. As soon as the car was off I was out and looking around in better detail. Glancing down both streets I knew we were in a three-block structure where there was only homes and apartments, the nearest liquor store perhaps a five-minute walk from what I had remembered. Bikes of small structure littered the lawn of a two-story house that had a Tinkerbell blanket thrown over the window. Listening in I heard people shuffling about, kids getting ready for school and people arguing.