I've been Listed!

Chapter Four...

(Memory-Sammy)

"Do you have your shin guards?" She had a small notepad in her hand. It had her favorite Barbie picture on it. Rapunzel, if I'm not wrong.

"Yeah. I got it." I replied. I didn't check if I had them.

She looked up from her little notepad. She kept clicking her pen in her other hand. It was really distracting at times. "I thought you had given them to Glen?"

That got my attention. "I did?" I scoured my bag for my shin guards just to find them missing. I don't think Glen fully understands that the whole point of "borrowing" means you also have to return the stuff taken at some point of time. Preferrably soon.

I glanced at Evelyn. She was looking at me with a hopeful expession. Her nose did the funny thing it does when she's happy about something.

I sighed. "Guess Glen's still got 'em. It's not like I needed them anyway." Which wasn't even a lie. Glen needed the guards more than I did.

She half-smiled as she turned around to unzip her bag. Out of her huge bag she produced the familiar yellow guards.

"But..."

"You're welcome." she cut me off before I could protest. She bent down beside me and put my shin guards inside my bag.

"Thanks." I grinned at her. "You didn't have to do that though. Glen probably needs those more than me."

"And risk the chance of you not getting selected for the soccer team in the tryouts today because someone injures you with a ball? Not happening Sammy. At least not as long as I'm here anyway."

"Seriously, what would I do without you, my loyal servant?" I teased.

"Oh shut up." she hit me with the tiny notepad of hers on my head. I laughed. Was that even supposed to hurt? Ha!

Just as I was going to comment on it, she gave me a warning look. "Don't." she said.

I shrugged innocently. "I wasn't going to say anything, Lynnie."

"Yeah, right. And stop calling me that."

"Call you what, Lynnie?" I grinned wider. A look of pure annoyance flashed across her face. And then it was gone just the way it had come. I shot her a confused look. How did she manage to do that? How did she control herself like that?

"Whatever. So, did you check if you have your extra shirt?" she was obviously changing the topic to avoid getting angry at me. Why does she do that? How can she never be annoyed with me? Maybe that's why she's my best friend.

"Oh come on! Why would I need an extra shirt?" I asked, bringing myself back from my head to answer her.

"Because you'll be sweaty. And what if you fall in the mud while playing? The ground is going to be wet today on account of how heavily it rained last night."

"Relax Lynnie! If it comes to that, I'll walk home shirtless." I winked. Instantly, she blushed deep red.

"Um, er..." She turned to her little notepad. Whoa! I'd never thought I'd live to see Evelyn blush. It was quite a view. She looked so embarrassed that it was cute.

"Evelyn Parker! Were you just picturing me shirtless in your head?" I wagged my eyebrows at her. I just LOVED teasing her!

"Shut up." she cried. Her face was really so funny when she was embarrassed. I should do this more often. She started fiddling with the pages of her notepad now. I wonder what she wrote in it. Why not find out?