Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Let me go!" I pleaded but the man just laughed and gripped me tighter.

"Now, now, I can't do that sweetheart." He whispered in my ear and pulled something out of his jacket. It took me a moment to realize that he was holding a gun.

"Please don't do this! Please I'll do anything but please don't!" I sobbed and he chuckled dryly.

"I'm sorry love." He spoke with a smirk on his face before pulling the trigger. A dreadful pain shot through my stomach and I gasped for breath.

"Elena!" Someone screamed and I grasped my stomach tighter before sliding to the ground.

"Elena please stay with me!" The voice pleaded but I couldn't do anything except from closing my eyes.

"Elena!"

"Elena!" The same voice yelled and I jolted up in my bed, searching for my breath. I didn't realize I was crying until a sob escaped my mouth and I was lifted into someone's lap. "Shh it's okay! It was just a dream." Luke tried to calm me down without any luck. "No Luke! It wasn't just a dream! This could have happened! I could have... I-I... maybe..." I couldn't even finish my sentence. The events from last night came floating in which only made me cry harder. "Please don't think about that. You're here now and you're safe. Nothing's going to happen." He whispered and my breathing relaxed. His soft voice always had that effect on me. "Are you okay?" He asked after a while and I swallowed before answering. "No. But I will be, eventually." I said and he hugged me tight. It shocked me how nice Luke was being. It almost seemed like he was the old Luke again. "Wait my mom! She doesn't know I'm here." I suddenly remembered and started to panic until he shushed me. "Calm down. I texted her from your phone saying that you fell asleep on the couch. Don't worry about that. We'll go to your place tomorrow morning so you can get dressed and get your books but right now you should just get some sleep." Luke said and I praised myself for not having a password although that really had to change.

I climbed out of his lap and got back under the sheets, trying to get comfortable which was easier said than done, because my whole body hurt. In the meantime Luke had gotten up from the bed and started walking towards the door until I stopped him. "Please stay. I don't want to be alone." My voice cracked and a tear escaped my eye but I quickly wiped it away. "Uh sure." He replied awkwardly and climbed back in bed next to me.

I could tell he wasn't feeling very comfortable by the amount of space he left between us. "I'm sorry. You don't have to stay if you don't want to. I'm just a little bit scared, it's nothing. I shouldn't bother you with this." My voice cracked and he rubbed his neck.
"Hey don't say that. Come here." He spoke softly and I scooted closer to him. He wrapped his arm around my waist and I laid my head against his chest, hearing the calming sound of his heartbeat.

We stayed silent for a while until I decided to speak up. "Luke, how did you find me?" I asked and lifted my head from his chest so I could get a clear look of his eyes. "Oh, you're still awake? I thought you were sleeping. Eh well, I couldn't just let you walk home. I may be an asshole but come on, I'm not that bad! After you left I grabbed my keys and got in my car. You had just left like 10 minutes earlier so you couldn't have been that far. I drove all the way to your house but I didn't see you and it was almost impossible for you to be home already but I had to make sure. Now I couldn't call your parents because maybe they thought you were still with me and I know that they don't give you that much space anymore since you know, the incident. Maybe you just needed some space but I needed to know if you were home or not, which would have surprised me, so I asked a friend to call your parents and they told her you weren't home and that's when I got worried.
I drove around town for a while until I realized where you could be; the park. I remembered that that was where you went when you needed some alone time but you weren't there either. I parked my car there and walked around until I walked past an ally and heard this weird noises. I didn't know it was you but I couldn't just walked past it. I'm glad I didn't." He said and I didn't realize I was crying until he whipped my tears away with his thumb. It was mesmerising that even in the dark room you could still clearly see how blue his eyes were.