Initiation.

IF I'VE MENTIONED A GIRL NAMED SHELLEY, ITS MEANT TO BE STACY. It's been so long since I wrote this that i've forgotten her name and substituted shelley because i wasn't sure. anyway, enjoy.

A party.

I was forced to endure a party.

In someone else's case, this wouldn't be devestating, but to me, this counted as social torture. From the snippets of conversations that I had accidentally eavesdropped into, parties, I concluded, were a release for hormonal teenagers as they spilled their guts (both literally and figuritively) to other hormonal teenagers. This was also encouraged by the excessive amounts of alcohol they've ingested.

From my little private corner on the fringes of the make-shift dancefloor, I watched as bouts of teenagers grinded against eachother to the music. The bass was enough to have the floor visibly shake and my eardrums come close to bursting, but I couldn't have the heart to move from where I stood. 

Stacy wasn't amongst the dancers, nor was she beside the stand where the speakers blasted. I wasn't prepared to fight through the horde of teenagers just too look for her, although standing in my corner looking like the biggest loner to ever walk the face of the earth didn't sound much better. But hey, I should've been used to it by now right?

I sighed, glancing down at the cup a fellow party-goer had given to me. The murky, mysterious brown liquid showed the reflection of a saddened teenager wrapped up in a hoodie. I grimaced, wishing I had chosen better clothes. Not only did I look like a loser, but probably one of the most unfashionable ones at that.

I shouldn't have snuck out. It was stupid.

I risked a lot in coming here, all for the sake of a potential friendship. For all I know, this could be the act that sends my mother tumbling back into person she was a month ago. Especially after the talk she gave me before I jumped out of my window.

I sighed, shaking my head.

*~*

"What on God's earth did you think you were doing?"

I hadn't even stood entirely in the house before she blasted me with her words. I looked up, suprised. The car ride home from school had been tense and silent, not giving me any warning of a screaming match that would ensue.

I took a step back.

"Do you know how completely embarrased- no, mortified I felt when my daughter arrives late to her own mothers class and admits that she was truenting? That I could look like some push-over parent who lets their child be disrespectful and disobedient? You're lucky a detention was all I gave you!" She throws her keys down on the bench and turns to glare at me, her dark eyes glinting from the light.

My eyes widened and I gulped. "Mom, to be fair-" I began to cry.

"No! Don't you dare! To think that you could walk into class late with some boy and expect to not be punished. Least of all your own mother."

"I didn't expect to-,"

"I've been too lenient after your accident, you need to realise that although I am trying to help, I expect to be returned with the same respect I'm giving you, not to be walked all over." She takes a step forward and inhales deeply, her face that was tight with anxiety and anger suddenly softening. "I want to be your friend, not your enemy."

Her expression and the close attention didn't comfort me in the slightest. She didn't give out the, "I want to be your friend," vibe. She was giving quite with quite the different affect. It felt threatening and very unwelcoming, and each second she stared at me with those black eyes I became so discomforted that I had to pull away.