Chapter 3: Trips down memory lane

I couldn't say that Mom was sleeping peacefully.

Her neck was craned over in an odd angle and her mouth was wide open. She looked like she'd come here after a long night out at the club and had one too many drinks. I didn't think she even drank, but yet, I'd never seen her sleep before either.

I continued to stare at her before there was an interuption at the door.

"Miss Moore?" I looked up to see my doctor stride toward me, clipboard in hand. His gray hair was balding slightly on the crown of his head and the white coat contrasted against his black leather shoes.

"Yes?" I glanced at him uneasily. After hearing his declaration of me suppressing down my memories, I felt distrust. How could he have a thesis just by one statement? Sure, he was a doctor, but I could have been lying.

"I'm here to run a few tests," he spoke casually with an analysing glance.

"Wouldn't you have already done this?"

"Yes, I did." But he didn't comment further. Instead he did what I thought what a normal check-up was with the looking into the eyes with a torch. He also rolled a large machine over and told me to lay back down. I did what I was instructed and he murmured a few, 'hmm's' under his breath.

"Feeling any pain in the chest area?"

I looked up at him. "Yeah and I have a headache and my body feels sore."

He nodded as if he expected as much. "Psychiatry at two o'clock."

I opened my mouth to object but closed it and sighed. "Do you know when I will be able to leave?"

"As soon as your better," came his cryptic reply and before I could pester him with more questions, he strode back out.

*~*

Mom wasn't as interesting to watch the second time. I soon grew bored and began to make patterns in the quilt to pass the time. Breakfast -that consisted of a soggy styrofoam bowl of cereal- came and went. It wasn't long before it was lunch that Mom began to open her eyes.

"Oh God, where am I?" Mom spoke wearily, her hand coming up to rub her neck.

"Hospital." I answered. Mom's eyes darted to me before they shot back to the floor. It was almost as if she was scared or embarresed to meet my eyes.

It was eerily quiet then. The only sound that could be heard was her shifting around to move and rub her eyes. I stared down at the quilt and played with the small golden band strapped around my finger.

*~*

*flashback*

I was sitting in a car.

The air was filled with quiet and a cold, sterile atmosphere. Mom didn't ask about my grades and I didn't ask how her day was, we were just left in complete and utter silence.

It was sad, really. My fifteenth birthday was today and I had never felt lonelier. Not one single soul had wished me a happy birthday, not one present had been given to me from my mother.

I didn't expect anything, but feeling it in reality was just painful.

Finally, when Mom pulled into the small garage, I quickly left to run up the stairs of my small home. I locked myself in my room and snatched the iPod off my desk before throwing myself on my bed. All I wanted to do was listen to music and doze off, but a glimmer of something being reflected shone directly into my eyes.

I followed the beam of light and narrowed my eyes when I found a singular, golden ring sitting upon a note.

At first I thought it was my mom but I shook my head instantly. Mom, by me a present? Yeah, right. I scoffed at the idea and lifted the note and ring.