Chapter 3

I woke up in the middle of the floor with Phoebe's mum's face hovering over mine. I sat up, trying to work out where I was. 'Ouch' I muttered, as my head hit hers. I immediately slumped back down from head rush. Phoebe's mum rubbed her head, but since we're wolves she healed a lot quicker, and probably wouldn't even have a bruise.

Phoebe and her mum exchanged worried glances, as I began to look around for any sight of my mother. I had smelt her, she couldn't be far. I knew it was her. I didn't care if my head would hurt again, she had to be close. I jumped up and ran from the building. Phoebe's footsteps followed me as I screamed my mother's name.

I could feel the hot tears pour down my face as I looked in vain for her. Turning a corner I felt someone try to catch me, and missed me by an inch as I ran on. 

I could feel my hands shake at my sides, threatening to turn me. I ran faster, not wanting to change in the middle of town. Luckily the wood wasn't far. As soon as I reached it I changed. I didn't care about clothes, I could get some later.

My wolf wanted to run. Let all the worry out of my system. I ran to my favourite place in the woods. The pond. My mother had brought me here when I was small. We'd have picnics and meet up with the other families. If she was anywhere she'd be here.

I half expected her to be waiting here for me, but she was dead so it never could have happened. I sat down at the edge of the pond and stared into the cool water. I felt all the millions of memories flick through my mind. My mother, her laugh, her smile. Thousands of emotions cascaded through my system.

Even though I was in wolf form I could still cry. I felt a tear fall down my face. I heard someone's footsteps and turned to see Phoebe's wolf. As soon as she saw it was really me she came to sit next to me. We sat there in silence, there was no need for words, even though we couldn't talk in wolf form anyway.

After a while she talked to me through our mind link, 'Hey.' She said quietly into my mind, 'Marie is going to bring the dresses to the pack house instead.' I nodded showing her I'd heard her.

'I'm going to go for a run. See you later?'

She looked up at me as I stood, 'Yeah, Marie's going to come over at seven. Don't be too late.' She stood too and we ran from the pond.

I loved the feeling of the wind through my fur. I let my wolf take over and just run.

When I went back to my house I grabbed a few things I would take to Finn's later. I heard a cough from the door, grabbing my attention. My dad stood there looking at me. 'Emma I heard what happened today in town.' I knew this would affect him too, the look in his eyes, the distress they held was obvious. When he lost mum he almost died. He wouldn't eat or anything. Knowing she might be back. It changed everything.

'She's not coming back. She died. There's no way...' I heard his voice crack, I ran to him.

'Dad.' I waited until his breathing slowed and he had calmed down, 'She's not coming back. But Hope and I are here for you, okay?' I saw him nod and I was satisfied he wouldn't go back to his 'no talking ever again' state.

I grabbed my bag and looked at him once more. He looked fine, I didn't know what he was thinking though. 'I'm going to see Emma' I told him as I went down the stairs.

'Don't forget to go to Finn's house. I'm going to lock up and go to the pack house with Hope.' I yelled back a reply and went over the road to the pack house.

As soon as I woalked in Marie grabbed me and took me to a room.'Hey Emma.' She said. I've picked out some things for you already. Want to see?' I nodded and she smiled. Phoebe was in there too. I thought she'd just bring one or two dresses, but no, she brought practically her whole store.

There were so many different dresses and colours that I was already feeling slightly dizzy and shocked. They filled the whole room. She had short dresses, long dresses, plain dresses and elaborate dresses.

There were two boxes on a table in the middle of the room. One with my name and one with Phoebe's. Marie walked over to the table and held the boxes out to us. 'These are my best ones for you two, but if you don't like them, I have a few others.' Phoebe and I looked at each other. Marie could be a bit eccentric, a few others meant another couple of wardrobes.

She led me into another bedroom to help me get the dress on. I didn't know getting a dress on could be so difficult.

'Keep you're eyes closed. I want to see your reaction with it on you.' I took her advice and handed her the dress as I changed and closed my eyes. She usually didn't like it if someone judged a dress before they'd even tried it on.

I felt a smooth and soft material being pulled over my head and shoulders. I still kept my eyes closed. I could hear her moving the fabric about my feet. 'Open!' She squealed awaiting my reaction. I opened my eyes, expecting some brightly coloured, knee-length, 1960's dress.

I looked in the mirror and my mouth dropped open. I was wearing a beautiful blue dress, pulled in at the waist by a black waist band. It was strapless and had little blue, silver and gems by the neckline. There were little silver gems all over the dress too, a cluster at the waist that dispersed and spread out at the bottom.

I was shocked. Not able to say even one word. It was beautiful and I somehow, didn't look that bad in it. I just pinched my arm slightly, and squeezed my eyes shut. I opened them and realised I wasn't dreaming. I  turned to Marie who was beaming proudly at the dress. 'You like?' She asked me. I smiled broadly back at her.

'I love it Marie. Thank you so much.' I said, she beckoned me out of the room and took me to Phoebe's room. 'Are you done Phoebe?' She asked. Suddenly her mum pulled open the door to reveal a dumbstruck Phoebe. She was just standing in front of the mirror, her mouth open. 

Her dress was a beautiful light purple. It had an intricate pattern on the back, and hugged her figure, making her look beautiful. 'Phoebe you look awesome.' I told her. She broke out her trance and stared at me. 'So do you Emma' She said to me. 

The Luna looked at both of us. 'You'll be the talk of the night girls.' She said, beaming proudly, 'Now get out of the dresses before you ruin them.'

When we'd finished Phoebe went to talk to her mum. I knew she felt left out when all the rest of us we going to Finn's and she had to stay at the pack house. She came back smiling. 'I'm coming too'. I didn't ask her how she persuaded her mum. I just rolled my eyes.

When we walked up to Finn's front door I could hear music inside. I knocked on the door and someone opened it. Everyone was wearing pyjamas and what looked like a massive pillow fight was occuring. It was like a kids party apart from here everyone had a beer in their hand.

This would be a very interesting night.

*****************************************

Thanks for reading! See you all on the next chapter...