XXIII

Maya sat on the sofa as Fauna sat next to her, stiff. They remained awkwardly silent.

Fauna tapped her hand against her thigh, trying to find something to say. "Sooooo.... who's Chase?"

Maya's head snapped up and she scowled. "Nobody to you," she snapped.

"Maya, play nice," Stella said from the kitchen.

"I'm not nine," Maya muttered.

There was a loud cry coming from upstairs. Maya immediately stood up and rushed up the stairs. "I'll get him!" She shouted as they cries and screams became louder.

A girl looking, about six, seven or eight to Fauna, walked out the kitchen, smiling so brightly you would think she's never been so happy in her life, and walked up to Fauna as her silver eyes shone.

"Do you want anything to drink? Stella's making dinner too, I hope you like lasagne."

Fauna sat up straighter at the mention of her favourite food. "Yes, I love it."

The girl seemed to breath a sigh of relief. "Good."

Her voice was timid even as her smile was bold. She was so quiet, like a little mouse, as she spoke. Like she was afraid to speak.

"What's your name?" Fauna asked.

"..... Maria," she answered timidly and played with her just under shoulder length brown hair.

Fauna stared at Maria for a moment as the little girl shifted her weight between legs nervously. "I really like your eyes." Fauna finally stated.

Maria was almost jumping for joy. "Really?"

Fauna nodded. "They're gorgeous."

"I don't really-"

"Maria, would you mind going to check on Maya and Samuel, please?"

Maria's smile, some how, grew. "I'm on it! She went to run up the stairs before she laughed and turned back to Fauna. "Sorry, what did you want to drink?"

"..... orange juice? Do you have orange juice?"

"Yep!" Maria answered beige she charged upstairs. How did she do that without making a sound?

Fauna sighed before looking down at the floor. Benjamin and Nico had been down their for hours. What were they doing down there?

"Maria, I've got him, don't worry about it."

Fauna turned to see Maya holding a little baby in her arms and Maria standing so close to her that she was breathing on Maya's neck. 

Maya got to the bottom of the stairs and dashed into the kitchen. "Mum! He keeps spitting his pacifier out!"

The baby started wailing.

Fauna arched an eyebrow as Maria sat herself down next to Fauna. "If you're worrying about your friend then don't. Benjamin always spends hours in there but I'm never sure why."

Maya ran out the kitchen and back up the stairs. "Mum! I can't find the stupid teddy bear!"

"Have you checked under his bed!"

"Of course I've checked under his bed!"

Stella finally stepped out the kitchen. "Who had it last?"