V

Fauna stared at the stairs that led to Mat's house and whimpered quietly. There was no way she could make it up all those stairs.

Nico sighed before bending down. "Climb on."

Fauna squealed happily before climbing onto Nico's back. "Thanks," she kissed Nico's cheek.

"Ready?" Nico asked as he grabbed her legs.

"Yeah," Fauna answered, sounding like a child.

Nico smiled, it was slight but there nonetheless, as he held Fauna and it reminded him of old times.

Fauna clung to Nico as he ran up the stairs to Mat's house. He made the journey every time he came back to Velarium to report that he hadn't found Fauna but now he could finally smile and say he found her.

When they reached the top Fauna climbed off and landed with a soft thud on the wooden patio similar to her own.

She could feel a ball of nervousness growing in her chest causing it to tighten. She slipped her hand into Nico's without thinking and gave it a gentle squeeze just to make sure he wouldn't disappear or that this was all a dream.

"Scared?" Nico asked though he knew the answer from Fauna's shaky breathing.

"I'm scared that he's gonna hate me because I look like the girl you guys knew," she admitted sadly.

It was true though - she had easily put two and two together since she got here. She lost her memories three years ago and went off the radar, Nico looked for her but couldn't - find her until today that is - three years later and everyone remembers her but she doesn't remember anyone. They looked for her for so long and when they finally find her it turns out that she doesn't even know who they are and she was living another life of complete lies.

"Look, Mat could never hate you, he loved you before you disappeared and he'll love you now, regardless of if you remember him or not. And if he doesn't like you, which I highly doubt, then I'll make sure to knock some sense into him."

"But-"

"No buts, now go in," Nico opened the door and pushed her inside.

The door swung shut behind her and she squeaked as Orion rubbed his head against her leg, gently nudging her forwards.

She examined the room, photos of Mat with different people were everywhere. He looked younger in all of them, he looked as if he was at the top of the world and no one could knock him down. 

Fauna's attention was drawn to the bird sitting at the desk in the middle of the room. She laughed and walked over to the desk, instantly recognizing her from earlier.

Fauna ran a hand down her feathered wing. "Hello there Lightning."

Lightning squawked and stretched her wings out, letting Fauna stroke her finger down the inside of them.

A door opened and Fauna jumped slightly in shock before relaxing as she saw Mat walk out of what appeared to be a bathroom.

He looked as if he had just taken a shower since his face was flushed red while there was still small droplets of water dripping down his face and arms but his hair gave it away as it was soaked.

"Oh, Fauna, didn't realise Nico would bring you over so quickly. I thought he would've wanted to catch up, sorry you had to wait," Mat apologised before his eyes caught sight of Fauna's outstretched hand and Lightning's open wings. "Did she- did you...?"

"I'm sorry," Fauna blurted out, heat rising to her face. "I didn't realize you didn't want me to touch her, if I'd known I wouldn't have but-"

"No, no, no. It's fine Fauna, it's just that I was shocked is all. Lightning doesn't usually let people touch her, even other Beast Tamer's but you - she let you touch her and was at complete ease."