Chapter Five: No luck at all

I sat at the dining table eating my cereal I’m surprised I haven’t received a text from Kyle yet. I’m not sure why I care though. I still remember telling him yesterday I would ask my parents about letting me out one evening but I still not had the guts just to ask them. I mean what is the worst thing that can happen? They just say no.

.”Josh what is wrong?” asked my mother. She probably forgot about what she has said to me last night but right now I’m not bothered by that anymore. It’s more about asking if I can go out. I sighed.

“Josh,” she said more softly.

“I want to ask you something,” I said in a whisper.

“What was that?” she asked.

“I want to ask you something,” I said again but this time louder so she heard me.

“Ask away what is wrong?”

“When I got nearly run over I told you someone saved me. Well that someone happened to be someone called Kyle and well he really likes me. I sort of promised him I would ask you and dad if I can maybe not be grounded for one day so I can go out with him for a little while after school,” I said to her.

My mum looked at me oddly. She is so going to say no. Well it won’t be my fault. At least I tried. I put my head on the table. “I suppose that will be ok. I mean it be good to see you out and about for a change as long as you promise not to walk out on anymore roads like you did before. You may not be here if it wasn’t for that boy Kyle,” she said pointing at me.

“I promise,” I said to her and she smiled.

“Are you ready?” my dad asked from the front room.

“Yeah I’m ready,” I called back and got to my feet kissing my mum on the forehead before I went into the front room quickly putting my shoes on and grabbing my bag from the sofa.

I left the house with my dad and got into his car. On the drive to school I looked at my phone wondering when I should text Kyle to let him know I can meet up with him. Once I get this over and done with maybe things can go back to the way they were. Do I want them to go back to the way they were though? I don’t know.

I got out the car a while later my father nodding to me as I did and walked into the school building for another day of boredom. I walked down the corridor my phone still clenched it my hand. I felt myself feel like I wanted him to call me or text me. I want him to come to me. I don’t know why though. I mean didn’t I want to avoid him I want him out my life don’t I?

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand. I put it in front of my face about to read the text as I tried to squeeze through the crowd of students but as I did I trip over something and I fell forward. Someone caught my arm but it was too late everyone began to push and shove each other. The arm that held me gave me a chance to try and stand up straight but someone shoved into me. I collapsed to the floor anger taking over.

My phone was still in my hand, least it isn’t broken. I tried to stand up but the corridor was manic. Someone stood back bashing into my back which made me shout in annoyance. The crowd slowly began to go as the bell went for form and teachers began to move students along.

“Are you alright?” someone asked me. I looked up to notice a young boy maybe a year younger then I am, I couldn’t be sure. He must have been the one who caught me. I knew he must be younger than me but he is taller than me though.

“I’m fine,” I said to him as I tried to get to my feet on my own but my ankle jolted with pain as I tried. I cursed under my breath. Don’t tell me I’ve sprained my ankle or something. This is just what I need right now. I tried to forget the pain and I attempted it again. With the boy’s help I managed to stand. My ankle is killing me though right now.