~Chapter Thirteen: Rent-a-Jerk~

Dedicated to byPatKeegan for being byPatKeegan.

“What is it, Vince?”

The man with the salt-and-peppered hair glanced at the phone he had slammed down in anger moments ago, and into the concerned mahogany-brown eyes of one of the few people he trusted, Lillian White, his personal assistant. They were on a first-name basis, and even now, before this phone call, they were enjoying a pleasant, non work-related chat in his study.

“Call all the relevant airlines, Lillian, and enquire about a missing person who might have booked a flight within this past week.” Vincent Ardeur leaned forward and rested his elbows on his uncluttered rich, mahogany desk, stroking his greying temples, which Lillian recognised as a sign of stress and worry.

She picked up her pen and looked at him expectantly. “Name of this… missing person?” Dear God, he’s probably looking for someone that screwed him over.  I do hope he’s careful this –

“Savannah Evangeline Ardeur.”

Lillian’s face was a picture of shock once the penny dropped.

In another part of the world, another face was being made at a completely different person for a completely different reason. Anthony Dekker’s glower could have burned Stefan Lorenzo’s face off. So Lorenzo quickly backpedalled.

“Of course you can have this car for as long as you like, Mr. Abernathy,” he said, flustered. He extended the car rental period over the normal one-week maximum, and signed his name with a flourish. “Just bring it back in one piece. Please,” he added swiftly, handing Anthony the keys to the BMW X6. “It’s out front, sir. Julio will show it to you.”

“Thank you,” Savannah’s voice broke in. She shot Tony a glare. “You’re so generous.”

Tony pulled her by the arm, all but dragging her out Suave Car Rentals and into the parking lot. Her presence was beginning to irritate him, which was ridiculous, seeing as he was the reason she was still here, let alone alive.

You don’t even know what you’re doing here, Dekker.

The thought snaked its way into his head stealthily, which only served to annoy him further. He always knew what he was doing; always had a premeditated plan. Shit, he even planned his bathroom breaks.

Julio was a bouncy curly-haired teenager in the trademark rich burgundy velvet waistcoat that all the Suave employees wore with pride. He greeted them cheerfully as he led them to the car, his eyes lingering longer than necessary on Savannah, something that Anthony did not miss.

“Enjoy your tour,” the boy grinned, after depositing them before the sleek black car that was to be theirs for the week. “And that is a lovely dress, miss.”

Savannah smiled, despite herself. “That’s so – ”

“She knows.” Tony turned the key in the passenger door and unceremoniously shoved her inside, slamming the door shut.

Julio watched them with puzzled interest. The man scared him, if he were being honest. He reminded him of one of the cold-blooded snakes with blue marbles for eyes; the ones his Nana was always warning him about: “They’re slippery ones, Leo. Watch out for them.” He wondered what the stunning lady was doing with him.

Once inside the car, Anthony instantly shut his reluctant passenger out, focusing on the day ahead. His mind whirred – and came up blank.

What will you say when Ruthless calls?

“You were rude to that boy. And to the man inside.” Savannah’s husky voice broke through his thoughts. “What do you have to say for yourself, Tony?”

“Keep quiet. Don’t move. Don’t even breathe.”

Savannah stared out the window, the lush green paradise they were driving through didn’t even make her heart sing. She’d experienced it all, years ago, with this stranger sitting beside her. All it did was make her wistful. Her heart was yearning for something; someone.

“When did you start using intimidation to get your way?” she whispered under her breath, so low that Anthony almost didn’t catch it.

He glanced sideways. “I don’t follow.”

Savannah snorted, not bothering to look at him. “You knew what you were doing back there. That guy was scared of you,” she said haughtily. “And back at the hotel? When the maid wanted to clean our – I mean, your room? You practically threatened her not to, just so she wouldn’t find your stupid toys. I don’t know this person you’ve become.”

“Perhaps you never knew me.”

This time, she looked at him, studying his side profile. He might as well have been a statue. “You’re right. Perhaps I never did.”

The silence became a passenger in the backseat.