~Chapter Two: IQ? Is That a Drink?~

"Just pull the plug," he said, and turned to leave. He had more important matters to attend to.

"Pull the -? Mr Dekker! Wait!"

Anthony paused at the door and turned to face Dr. Mills, a look of irritation flickering across his face. "What is it?"

"It's just that... there's a possibility that she might wake up."

Anthony fought with himself to keep from hitting the much smaller man. "Wake up? In what condition? As a vegetable? As a retard?

Mills reddened at his choice of words. "There's a chance -"

"I'm tired of hearing about the chances and possibilities and maybes." He pointed at the body lying on the stark white hospital bed. "She is already dead. Pull the plug. Put her out of her misery."

Mills bit his bottom lip. After a pause, he nodded. "If that's what you want, we'll turn off the plug."

"It's what I want," Anthony said, "but I won't be present for it. I have a prior commitment." He glanced at the gold Rolex strapped across his wrist. He couldn't be late for this next engagement either.

"We can postpone," Mills said hurriedly.

Anthony shook his head. "No. No postponements. I need closure."

"Of course. I understand," Mills said quietly, in a voice that told Anthony that he didn't.

"Good. I shall see you later in the week."

Anthony took one last glance at the shriveled shell that used to be his mother, and turned and left, his footsteps resonating in the eerie emptiness of the hallway.

*

Natalya stretched one long, tanned leg across his lap suggestively, the blood-red of her immaculate pedicure up for closer inspection.

Anthony pushed it off.

"What's wrong with you, Tony?" Natalya whined, folding her arms across her ample bosom. Lately, the whine had become a permanent fixture. Tony despised it with a passion.

"I'm trying to watch the news."

"The news is boring. Can't we watch Jersey Shore? It's on now."

Anthony turned the volume up when he saw a familiar apartment on the screen, blatantly ignoring Natalya.

"Police are baffled by the recent death of small-time felon and drug dealer, James 'The Kid' Bennett, in his East Weston apartment. Bennett appeared to have suffered from a fatal snake bite, in what has been labeled as the strangest death the Weston Police Department has had to investigate. However, no foul play is suspected, and - "

Anthony passed the remote to Natalya, instantly satisfied. "Watch whatever your little heart desires," he told her, standing up.

"Where you going?" she asked, flipping channels.

"To bed."

"I join you," she offered.

"Nah. Not this time."

Anthony passed through the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of Evian before heading upstairs. Tomorrow, he'd get rid of Natalya, who was dumber than an electricity pole. He felt an electrifying twinge of doubt creep through him at the thought of being alone, and quickly shrugged it away. There was no time for weakness like that. Wasn't that what his father had constantly drilled into his skull?

As he reached the landing, he heard the annoying voice of the raven-haired midget, Snooki, gushing: "Jionni and I are going to have beautiful Guido babies!"

He hoped to God that Natalya wouldn't get any ideas.