Chapter 11: You're What?

When I got into my tutor room I noticed that Sam was sat on one if the further tables away from me, crying. I didn't know why but I cautiously walked up to him, he was one of my bullies so I was very wary, to see if he was okay. I tapped his shoulder lightly. 
"What do you want!?" He screamed in my face. I flinched back, worried that he was going to hit me or something. 
I handed him a note, on which I had written 'Hey Sam? Are you alright? I know you hate me and all but do you want to talk about it or something?'
Sam turned and half-smiled at me. 
"Do I look alright to you!?"
I grabbed my pen and added on to the note, 'well since you're crying, no, but you seem well enough to sass me."
I passed the note back to Sam and he laughed. 
"Yeah, I guess I'm alright. It's just, you know Chloe..."
I made a gagging face.
"... She's being extremely mean to me after she asked me out I said no."
Oh. I wasn't sure how to react. 
"I told her that I liked someone else though and she took it pretty badly."
I grabbed the pen, 'can we text or email or something cos it's easier than me writing all the time?'
Sam nodded and added his number into my phone. 
'Hi! Well I guess what I'm going to say is, who do you like? Alex xx'
"Um Alexia, can I call you Alex? It doesn't matter but I want to say sorry about, well, hitting you. I'm really sorry but they force me into it and -"
I cut him off by texting him. 'Peer pressure, it's ok I forgive you'
"- Really! Oh thank you, I'm really, really sorry about it and..." He rambled on. 
'Sam. Shut up. I forgive you.' I text him again.

After he had accepted my apology the bell rang and the rest of our tutor group and our tutor came in.

***********

I was walking towards the lunch hall, after fourth period had ended, when I say Sam being pushed against the lockers and punched by many of the boys. What had happened to make him so unpopular in less than a day?

I walked through the crowds and sat in my usual seat at the back of the hall. My phone buzzed and I had one unread message from an unknown number. 'Hi Alexia, its Sam please can I sit with you need to get away from these people x'. I immediately replied telling him it was fine and there was always room for him if he needed it. Behind me I heard a girl scream, "Oh my god right, you know that guy Sam, yeah that fit one. He like came out today -" I tapped her on the shoulder and gave her a questioning look mouthing 'Sam?'
She turned and exclaimed "Haven't you heard, Sam, the guy in our year came out today. He's gay!"

Suddenly, the puzzle pieces fit together. The insults, "faggot", "gay boy", him rejecting Chloe, his sass and refusing to tell me his crush. Because it was a boy. Sam is gay.

For the second time today, my thoughts were interrupted by someone, except this this time it was only Sam rather that the very rude bus driver. He smiled a t me quickly before a group of year 10 boys stormed over. 
"Oh look, it's the reject table where the gays and the mutes can sit together and starve themselves because they know they are obese." One of the boys said in a sarcastic tone of voice. 
"Oh shut up, at least we eat unlike the sluts that you sleep with, who, for your information actually do starve themselves." I silently laughed at Sam's reply. 
"Hey mute girl, wasn't it you who's best friend tried to commit suicide?" I froze up at the mention of James. 
"I see why he did it, I would too if I was him."
After this comment, it turned into 'let's yell insults at the mute girl'. 
A second boy yelled, "Someone said both your parents died young. It's a shame you didn't."
They couldn't just go around insulting my parent’s deaths like that! When I went to do something I found that Sam had already punched both boys square in the face. 
He growled at them, "I suggest you shut the f**k up before I break your noses."
The two boys exchanged glances before running off. Sam brushed down himself before sitting at the table and continuing his meal.

I got out my phone and text Sam. 
'Thanks for doing that, you didn't have too though. Where did you learn how to throw such a great punch!?'
He read the text and smiled at me, "When I found out I was gay, I started self-defence classes to defend myself invade something like that happened."
I smiled at his logic. 
'Good idea Sam. Good idea.'

*******

To: niallhoran@onedirection.com

From: alexiamay@gmail.com

RE: <no_subject>

Niall,

Oh my god! I can't believe you actually replied. Give me a minute to die fangirling. Calm Alexia. Breathe. You asked if I was a crazy fandom stalker, and I really hope I am not. I do not know your blood type, exact time of birth and the day that you got your braces removed, but I know like your birthdays, middle names and how many siblings you have. Not that stalker-y.

Right I'm okay. So my favourite line to a song. My definite favourite is "If I'm louder, would you see me?'. I also live the lines 'I can make your tears fall down like the showers that are British', you know cos we have great weather! And 'If we could only have this life for one more day, if we could only turn back time'. To be honest, I love all of Ed Sheeran's lyrics, it is virtually impossible not to.

And my ribs, they still hurt but there isn't a doctor or someone to ask, and besides they'd ask about the other bruises and I really don't want that. Don't worry, I will try to survive.

I don't know if I mentioned a guy called Sam in my previous letters, he used to bully me, but its okay now. He told me that it was because of peer pressure and I text him telling him I forgave him. Also he's gay. He came out today and I think it's pretty damn awesome that I now have a gay friend. Doesn't everyone want one? He is also amazing at self-defence, he stood up for me against the bullies and he's really sassy too. Like Louis, I guess. 'Cept Louis isn't gay.

Anyhow, hope you're okay and rehearsals / stuff pop-stars do is going well!

Love forever,

Alexia May xx

(A/N I wrote an entire conversation between her and Sam, then remembered she was mute. Slow clap for me. Also I thought she needed some support so I brought a new friend in as they are both rejected from society, him being gay and her being mute. I’d like to say that even though he is gay and sassy it does not mean that I stereotype sassy people as gay. Excluding Louis Tomlinson, because Larry! Alexia’s favourite line is also my favourite line from a song ever, but it is quite ironic, seeing as she is quite mute.)