V: One Hell Of A Butler

The butler swept me off my feet in the moment it took for me to exhale out and take in the surroundings. Violins, oboes, and cellos spilled notes and made beautiful music, flooding the ballroom and blotting out the world.

Except for Sebastian, who wasn't blotted out at all. He was right there, in front of me, so close, almost touching. He smiled and I smiled back, meeting his eyes and not daring to look away.

For a moment, he looked down at my feet as we danced across the hall, and he looked back up with a twinkle in his eye. Our shoes clacked against ballroom floor in sync, both with each other and with the music.

"Impressive footwork, Claire," he offered. I blinked a couple of times before finally sputtering out a thank-you.

"Is there something you're meaning to say?" He asked suddenly afterwards. I froze momentarily before moving again and quickly shaking my head.

"No, not really," I mumbled, now wanting to look away, "You're just a very good dancer, I suppose."

"Hmm," he smirked, "Thank you for the compliment, but that's not what I'm asking for."

"There's nothing else," I said quickly, "Can we just..."

"Right," he leaned in close to my face for a moment, making me reflexively pull back, but he didn't make any contact. He stepped back smoothly and chuckled, "I said there would be teasing."

I sighed. We kept dancing, and it was so dark that I could barely see anyone else. I wondered if anyone else could see me. It's not like there was something I'd do or attempt, even, if it was only me and the butler, but still, I wondered.

"Claire," Sebastian's voice was soft, but it worked to derail my train of thought, "Close your eyes."

His tone sent shivers up my spine and honestly, I wasn't sure how to react. I tried to say something, but before I could, his hand slipped out of mine and extended up to my face. He ran a gloved thumb over my cheek slowly, still dancing, even closer now, his hand against the flat of my back.

"Okay," I nodded, blushing, most likely, as I let my eyelids fall and take away my view of the butler.

His hand shifted slightly against my back. We were still dancing, and while I could do the steps with my eyes closed, I was still afraid. I relaxed my brow and took slow, deep breaths.

"You're shaking," Sebastian's breath was warm against my ear and it made me tense up, "What's the matter?"

"N-Nothing," I forced myself to keep my eyes closed, "I'm sorry. It's just...I'm a little scared."

"Are you afraid of me, my Lady?"

I shook my head, eyes still shut. "No, of course not! How could I possibly be afraid of you, you're..."

"I'm what?" Sebastian took my hand again and I swallowed slowly. It was then, I think, that I realized how I actually felt, that I was very much in love with this man.

"You're just...you're so...," I choked on my words, shaking my head slightly every time I failed, "What I mean to say is, you're just..."

That was horrible. I couldn't be in love with someone like this; it was beyond unacceptable! He was a butler, I was a noble. He belonged to the Phantomhives, I was a Hemlock. They weren't mixing anytime soon, despite my attempts at dealing with Ciel. Sebastian had enchanted me in just over a day, that's how much of a devil he was. But who was I, to fall in love, what I felt was genuine love, in a day, just like that?

"You look beautiful," Sebastian whispered, catching me off guard. I couldn't think straight with this man around me.

"It's...it's the dress," I said quickly as he dipped his fingers into my locks and slowly stroked my hair. My heart raced and I managed to add, "Thank you, Sebastian."