I: Small Talk and Teatime

"Tea, my Lord," I watched as the boy's butler walked in, his footsteps silent against the thick crimson carpet. Ciel looked indifferent, his turquoise eye dull and without light.

"Sebastian, where is Lady Hemlock's tea?" Ciel asked. I frowned and turned away from the butler's gaze. He was smiling, and the way he was eyeing me made me feel naked, almost.

"Right here, my Lord, with yours," Sebastian said. I jumped in my seat slightly as he put the cup down in front of me.

"T-Thank you," I whispered. Sebastian nodded, still smiling.

"How are the dealings going, my Lord?" Sebastian turned to look at Ciel. He furrowed his brow and I shivered. This boy was unlike any I had seen before. Younger than me, but with eyes that shone with more knowledge than mine. Sinister things lurked inside him, I thought.

"It takes time," Ciel answered. I nodded furiously, hair bobbing up and down. I took a sip of the tea, and it was really quite amazing. Ciel also sipped his, and while we went on in silence, that butler stood above us, and I could feel his eyes settled on me.

"What're you looking at?" I snapped at Sebastian. He shook his head and chuckled. I felt guilt drop in my stomach like a rock. Maybe I was being a bit too harsh.

"Nothing, my Lady," he pulled his pocket watch out and glanced at the time. He did it so smoothly, like a rehearsed movement, flashing it out and then putting it away again. My eyes fell on the silver chain of the watch that went from his coat button to his pocket.

"What're you looking at?" He smirked. I yelped as a hand fluttered to my chest. He winked and Ciel chuckled darkly.

"H-How dare you?" I frowned. Sebastian just shook his head.

"It's getting late, my Lord," he said and I scoffed. Who did he think he was? I was the noblewoman here, and he was just a lowly servant! I was a guest!

"Right," Ciel nodded, "Sebastian, show Lady Hemlock to her room."

"Hmm," Sebastian rested a hand against his chin and smiled at me. I turned away, refusing to meet his eyes.

"Lord Phantomhive, tell your butler to stop this," I said through grit teeth, but Ciel just waved a hand at me dismissively.

"He's always like that," Ciel said, "Goodnight, Claire."

I frowned. "Please refer to me as Lady Hemlock," I yelped as Sebastian put a hand on my shoulder, and then quickly regained my composure, "O-Or Lady Claire Hemlock, if you truly wish to add a bit of informality."

"Allow me to show you your accommodations, my Lady," Sebastian smiled as I stood up and glared at him.

"Goodnight, Lord Phantomhive," I said quickly, following the butler out the door. Ciel nodded.

"You have no right to talk back to me, Sebastian," I scowled, following him down the dark halls.

"May I address you by the name Claire, my Lady?" He asked suddenly, spinning around. I crashed into him and he pulled me back.

"Absolutely not!" I yelled, "You're nothing but a servant! I'm a noblewoman!"

Sebastian pressed a gloved finger to his lips. I blushed, unable to look away, somehow awed by the way his pitch black hair cascaded down past his ears and the way his mouth was curled up into a smile.

"This should be unsettling, but it's not," I mumbled.

"Pardon?"

"Nothing," I sighed, "I was talking about your...your smile. It's supposed to send shivers up my spine, isn't that right?"