II: Feline Adoration and the Possibilty of Blossoming Affection

I woke up early the next day, just as the sun began painting the sky with daubs of peach and pink. I changed out of my nightgown and washed up before silently slipping out of the room and skipping down the stairs. I kept an eye out for that strange butler, but luckily, I didn't run into him.

Breathing a sigh of relief, I stepped out into the garden and walked around, admiring the flowers and fountains. The sweet smell of freshly cut grass filled the air, and I walked around, gratuitously inhaling the air.

I stopped after hearing a male's voice from a few feet away, down a corner.

"Yes, you're absolutely wonderful and perfect, darling...," the voice cooed. I raised an eyebrow and peeked around the corner.

Sebastian was leaning against the brick wall of the estate with a cat in his arms. He was grinning at it, almost looking adorable...which was odd, because he wasn't at all adorable.

"Oh, Lady Claire," Sebastian smiled and I turned away, puckering my lips. He had seen me.

"I'm just taking a walk!" I called, back plastered agains the mossy wall. I yelped as he suddenly appeared from around the bend and looked down at me.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked. I nodded slowly.

"Thank you," I said.

He shook his head. "No need for thanks."

I swallowed slowly. He was still looking down at me, his figure only inches from mine.

"So...what were you doing back there?" I asked slowly, "W-With the cat, I mean."

"Hmm," Sebastian smiled, "I suppose I ought to tell you, as you told me about your nightmare last night."

"Can we not bring that up again?" I grimaced.

"I adore cats," Sebastian's whisper gave me goosebumps.

"Huh," I whispered back, "So do I."

Suddenly, he took my hands in his. "You do?"

I blushed, nodding quickly. "Yes, I've got twenty of them at my estate!"

"You seemed like the sort to like cats, Claire!" His voice was filled with more colour than I had ever expected from him. I pulled my hands out of his and put them behind my back.

"Do you play with that cat every day?" I asked. He chuckled.

"You remind me of a cat, Lady Claire," he quickly raked a hand through my hair before I could stop him, and then walked away, back towards the cat.

"Come here, Claire," he called, and reluctantly, I followed. He bent down by the cat and picked it up. He looked so strange, with the cat, and I couldn't help but smile.

"She's so cute!" I whispered as he handed the kitty to me. I stroked her fur and grinned uncontrollably. After a few minutes, my eyes met Sebastian's, and he was staring at me with a smile.

"W-What?" I frowned, blushing. He shook his head, pulled out of his spell.

"Nothing," he said quickly, "Now, if you'll excuse me, I must prepare breakfast."

He walked away quickly, leaving me with the cat. I sighed and put the feline down. I walked around, my eyes on the ground, the feeling of Sebastian's eyes set on me not leaving. Why was he looking at me like that? Why did I want him to call me by my first name, 'Claire'? I yelped suddenly, crashing into somebody.

"S-Sorry, my Lady!" The short blond boy shook his head, nervous and fidgeting. I recognized him as the Phantomhive gardener...or something.

"Finnian...right?" I frowned, "It's my fault, I apologize. I wasn't looking where I was going."