Ch. 12: Not So Secret

Ch. 12

“How’d he do?” I asked mom when I called to tell her I was on my way to pick Cam up.

Last night was rough. After I came home, I just laid in my bed and thought out every scenario possible. Thinking about if he stayed how that would work; what we would do about custody and everything. If he didn’t stay then nothing changed. It was just a big mess it seemed like. Plus, if he stayed then I would have to deal with Christy, and she would be Cam’s step mom and I don’t know how I feel about that, either. “Oh, he did fine once you left. He was just having a moment.” She laughed on her end.

I smiled at that. I knew he’d be okay after I was gone, but it was still hard to leave him, especially like that. “Thanks again, mom. I appreciate it.”

“How’d last night go for you?” She asked.

I groaned into the phone, “I’ll let you know when I get there. I have to tell you something anyway. I’ll be there in about five minutes.”

“Alright sweetie.” She sounded concerned, but thankfully didn’t push it further. That was one of many things I loved about my mom. She doesn’t push you into telling her things. She knows I’ll talk when I want to and am ready.

Finally, I pulled into the driveway and climbed out of my Montero and walked up to the door. I didn’t even get a chance to knock before the door was thrown open and my baby boy stood there grinning up at me. “Hey baby!” I scooped him up into my arms. “How did you get to the door so quickly?”

“I was watching for you out the window.” He smiled and wrapped his thin arms around my neck and gave me a hug.

“Okay, it’s my turn for a hug.” Mom joked to Cam as she walked into the room.

“Hey Ma.” I laughed and kissed Cam on the cheek. “Cam, sweety, I need to talk to nana real quick and without little ears listening in.”

He stuck out his bottom lip, “No! Don’t make me go away!”

“Just watch some TV. I promise I’m not going anywhere without you. I’ll come and get you in a few.” I kissed his nose and carried him into the room he usually stays in when he’s here. “Give me about 30 minutes, okay?”

“Fine.” He huffed, but still turned on the TV anyway.

I walked back out to mom and sat down at the kitchen table and put my head in my hands. This still was frustrating me. A part of me knew this was how he would react, but the other part of me wished it would have been different.

“What’s wrong, hun? You look stressed to the max.” Mom came over and put her hands on my shoulders from behind. She slowly started to massage them, releasing some of my tension.

“It’s Zach.” I stated simply.

Her hands stopped the wonderful massage. “Kelsey, you’re not falling for him again, are you?”

“No, mom, I’m not.” I groaned. That’s always what she jumps to.

“Well then what’s the problem?” She sounded completely lost.

“You see…it has to do with that last beach trip when we broke up.” I watched to see if anything clicked but it didn’t. I sighed. “I lost my virginity to him, ma.”

“Oh.” She said, and then went all quiet for a minute.

I glanced up in time to see her compose herself and smile a tight smile at me. “I guess it had to happen sometime.”

Somehow I knew mom wouldn’t get it. Then again, I was being extremely vague with her at the moment. I sighed again and slumped in the chair. “Mom, Derek isn’t Cam’s dad. Zach is.”