Ch. 9: What To Do?

Ch. 9: What to do?

Everything seemed to be running in slow motion. Everything that Brandon just pointed out couldn’t be right? Right? Zach couldn’t be Cameron’s father. It’s Derek. It’s always been Derek. This was a dream that I was going to wake up from, right? It had to be a dream for that to happen and for something else that happened. Something that I couldn’t even figure out myself, “Brandon, what the hell?” I asked looking up at him and smirking.

“What?” He shrugged, “It wasn’t that hard to figure out. Why do you look so happy about that?”

I shook my head, still smiling at him. “I’m not smiling because of that. Since when are you smart?”

“I resent that comment.” He glared at me, but too bad he had a smirk showing behind it.

“Oh well, we all know it’s true. The partier has a brain. I’m shocked. I didn’t know you had it in you.” I continued on with the teasing. I mean, when someone acts like Brandon all the time and is always out just making a life goal of hitting on girls and partying and being a total jokester, you’d be surprised he could be smart as well.

“This never gets out, okay? I can’t have people knowing I’m actually smart.” He pointed his finger at me, like he was scolding a child.

I nodded, “Sure, we’ll see.”

Okay, so I had to say that. I couldn’t help it; it just slipped out of my mouth. It was true, though. I couldn’t promise that it wouldn’t accidentally slip one day. Things happen and I have a big mouth. Oh well, he’ll get over it if it comes out. Maybe he’d manage to get more girls if he actually acted smart and not like some love crazed typical party guy.

Of course, it couldn’t just take a turn for the light side of things yet. Brandon had to bring the heavy back on to me. “So…” He asked, hesitating a minute. “What does this mean for…things now?”

How on earth was I supposed to answer that? I didn’t even know what this meant for things. How would Zach react to this? What would he say about me not even knowing that it was his kid? At the same time, how did I not know that I was pregnant before I got with Derek? Maybe because I didn’t really have any signs of it at first? But why didn’t I catch that I was three weeks along when we got the ultrasound done? Was it because I was just caught up in the moment? All these questions and yet, no answers to any of them. I slouched in my seat. There had to be some sort of answer to these questions.

“Do you think Derek caught on? I know he wasn’t here for when Cam grew up to look like he does now; but do you think that Derek new something was weird that I was three weeks along when we were only together for two weeks?” I had to ask Brandon. If anyone knew, then it would be him.

He thought about it, and shook his head while he was talking. “I don’t think so. He was too busy panicking. My brother may have been the smarter one of the two of us, but he wouldn’t have caught on to something that little.”

“Well, that’s good. I swear I wouldn’t have done anything to hurt him. I loved your brother and was certain that Cameron was his. Before you go thinking that I’m one of those girls who just claim it to be some random guy’s, I’m not like that.” I felt like I needed to reassure him for some reason. Maybe I was trying to tell myself the same thing. I don’t know.

Brandon moved over next to me and pulled me to his side. “Hey, it’s okay. I know you’re not like that. I didn’t ever say you were. I wasn’t blaming you for saying it was Derek’s. I’m not even saying that you knew that it wasn’t his. Obviously you didn’t. Gosh, do you really take me for that kind of person who would instantly change my thoughts on someone I’ve known for roughly six years?”