Ch. 6: Look-Alike

Ch. 6 – Look alike

~Zach’s POV~

“You ready for school?” I knelt down and asked Cameron.

He had the biggest brightest smile on his face, and I was afraid he would nod his head off for how quickly he was nodding. “Yep! All my class is going to be so jealous!”

I ruffled his hair and stood back up. “Thanks for letting me do this.” I told Kelsey.

Wow, I still couldn’t believe this was the Kelsey that I grew up with for those three years. I knew there was something familiar about her from before, but with the tattoos and the blonde hair, I just couldn’t figure it out.  She had grown up to be stunning, and I couldn’t believe my eyes. She bit her lip and gave me a nervous look. “I still don’t feel right about this.”

“Come on, what’s the harm? So I’m not really his dad, but it’s at least something, right?” I told her.

She looked lost in thought for a minute before I could see the defeat in her eyes. “Yeah, I guess so. Just make sure to have him back by 5:30. You’re lucky I’m letting him spend the day with you. He generally stays with my mom for the afternoon while I’m at work.”

“Thanks. We’ll have a blast.” There was just something about this kid that drew me to him. Ever since that first day that I signed his book, he just seemed so cool and made me want to hang out with him. Okay, that sounded really stupid considering all the other little kids are cool too, but something about him, though, made me want to spend more time with him. It was so strange. “Alright, come on.” I nodded my head towards my car telling Cameron to follow me.  I stopped after taking a couple steps and turned back around, “Hey, why don’t you meet up with us for dinner?”

“Come on, Zach. Now I know your fiancé wouldn’t want that. I don’t think that’s a good idea either.” She said. “I’ll just come back here and see you when you drop Cam off.”

“I mean all of us, including my fiancé.” I told her.

I know I wasn’t supposed to see the look, but I still knew her as well as I did from before. I saw the slight disappointment that went through her eyes when I mention my fiancé. Of course, she tried to cover it up and act like it didn’t matter, but I knew it did. “Come on, mom. Please!!” Cam begged.

I smirked down at him and then back up at Kelsey, “Yeah, please, mom?” I begged in a little kid voice.

She rolled her eyes. “Don’t you two start ganging up on me, now.” But she sighed and was defeated. “Fine. Just text me later as to where I’m meeting you. Bye Cam, love you. Have a good day.”

“Alright! Love you too.” He took off to my red Audi Locus and stopped dead in his tracks. “WHOOOAAAA!!!”  The look on his face was absolutely priceless. His eyes looked like they were ready to pop out of their sockets and he was frozen to the spot.  “That’s your car?”

“It sure is.” I opened up the passenger door for him to hop in.

“Awesome!” He said and climbed in. He tossed his backpack onto the floor and bounced happily in the seat. “This is so cool!”

“I’m glad you like it.” I said and shut his door, walking over to the driver side and climbed in.

As I figured, everyone at the school stared at me as we walked into the building and all the way to Cam’s classroom. Even when we got into the classroom, half of the dads’ faces were comical. Some were dropping their jaws; others were widening their eyes until they couldn’t go anymore. The teacher, who just happened to be female, was basically swooning the instant she walked through the door frame.