Ch 11. Losing at One's Own Game

Was he mad at her? But who wouldn't be angry when they hear their loved one talk badly behind their back? Scarlet lets out a heavy sigh as she paces around the floor slowly. She was afraid of sitting down or lying back because her back has not healed.

"How can your highness be so careless?" Lingli ridiculed as she prepared the last bit of clothing for tonight.

"Who knew!" Scarlet threw her arms up in the air, "He crept in like an ant, motionless and soundless. He was just like a ghost." Her back bothered her, so she put a hand behind her waist. "Ah."

"My lady, please be careful." Lingli helped her highness walk out of the maids room. They sauntered through the massive green land. Flowers were in bloom, emitting different colors of spring. The lake sparkled and shimmered, as the birds and ducks sips and skids against the calm waters. The willow trees leaned its long green strands of hair, dipping itself into Adam's ale as it basks under the warm sunlight.

Lingli sat her highness down by the pond, "Slowly."

"Ay..." Scarlet bit her bottom lip as her body tensed up, anticipating for the pain to run through her lower back. Did the guards have to be so harsh? She had nothing against them, she didn't burn their house, steal their food or cursed their generation. So why were the force they used each aimed to kill her? Thinking about it just brought more pain.

"Stupid, monstrous guards." She scowls. "If I see them again, they will have a piece of me!" She punches her fist onto the stone table.

Lingli listens to her highness complain as she peeled and orange.

"Hey Lingli." Scarlet puts both her clenched hands under her jaw to support it on the table, "Does your highness usually visit me before my injury?"

Knowing how interested Scarlet was about their past relationship, Lingli smiles and blinks quietly looking at her highness, "His highness rarely visits. His highness only comes once in a blue moon."

Scarlet's jaw dropped, "Doesn't that mean that I'm not favored? I'm still young and not even loved by my own husband?" She sadly weeps, putting on a pretense. "Why do I have such a pitiful life?"

Lingli laughs, "However, your highness would always come to his highness every night so there wasn't a need for his highness to come to our section."

Scarlet pouts, "He was the lazy type. Waiting for food to be cooked to be brought to his mouth. Too despicable. What a rogue!" She bit down on her teeth, "Times have changed and so have I. Let's see who could withstand not seeing the other more. I will surely win." She snorts with confidence.

"Is my lady sure that you wouldn't be able to withstand the temptation?" Lingli tilts her head teasingly.

"Of course! Just watch me."

Lingli couldn't help but burst into laughter from Scarlet's bluff. "Then I think we should leave soon." She stood up which raised her highness's suspicion.

"Why? I'm enjoying the view. I like it here."

Lingli points to the other side of the lake, "But soon, on the other side is someone my lady wouldn't want to see."

Scarlet narrows her eyes, "Impossible. This manor isn't small, and what would he be doing over there?" She stood up as she saw crowds of maid starting to hover behind the magnolia trees. She could feel their hormones at its peak as they giggled and pointed. By the looks of it, they were probably eyeing a handsome guy.

"You shouldn't look, your highness."

"If there is an eye candy right in front of me. It would be stupid not to stare." Scarlet hurried Lingli to take her over to the other side. Her maid smiled,