Chapter 12: Through Shadow and Flame

Chapter 12

     From the wand of the Iron Bull came a brilliant light. Then he raised his wand into the sky and shouted out, “Tenebrasempra!” The light from his wand changed and turned black as a shadow. The shadows twisted and formed into various hideous creatures, all with the single mind of attacking the Acromantulas with fervor and rage.

     The creatures halted in their steps. Some were torn to shreds by the shadow creatures. Others were tossed and flung from place to place. Still more of the creatures surged forward, bent on seizing the wizards and witches.

     “FIENDS!” they continued to hiss.

     “Back, vile beasts!” Digger Bronze yelled out.

     “This guy’s somethin’, ain’t he?” Sam shouted.

     “Keep at it, Sam!” Star yelled back at her.

     Spirit and Digger rushed to Master Bullavin’s side. The Iron Bull kept his focus on the creatures and his Shadow Curse. Spirit shouted out, “Igniculus!” Another jet of fire spewed forth from her wand as the coral necklace she wore gave a red glow again.

     Digger kept waving his sword and throwing spells and hexes at the spiders. He kept taunting them with insults. “Thy efforts are futile against our combined prowess! Back, you curs!”

     “Why does he talk like that?” Sam asked.

     “He could as you the same thing!” Star replied. Star rushed forward to be at Bullavin’s side. Master Bullavin looked down and noticed that the students were standing beside him. He waved his hands and glowered at them.

     “I told you to stand behind me!” he shouted. He waved his wand and pushed the students back several feet from where he stood. The shadow creatures he had conjured ceased to be and the spiders redoubled their efforts to attack.

     “AH!” Sam shrieked. She threw more curses at the spiders as they approached them with fangs wet with rage. “Get them back!”

     Out of the sky came a small red bird, a cardinal, that flew around Spirit at first.

     “Hey!” Spirit shouted out. “Nymph! Is that you?”

     The bird landed and whirled in place, changing from a cardinal to Nymphara Dye. “Of course! Help’s on the way!”

     From behind the spiders bounded a great white tiger with two girls upon it. The tiger leapt and landed at Bullavin’s side. The girls dismounted, Iggy rushing to be with Nymphara and the others while Rain Fox drew her blades and swiped at the spiders with skill and precision. The blades and the Pendant of Death both had their blue glow about them, covering Rain Fox in a blue aura that spread to the place around her. Echo pounced upon a group of spiders with a mighty roar. Her fur stood upon end and she growled again. From the tips of her bristled hair shot forth a white spell like tiny missiles that froze every spider around her. She turned into a human and, with the power of the Pendant of Darkness glowing purple, hurled her ice magic at every Acromantula she pointed at. Some were frozen in mid-air, bursting into shards of ice as they fell to the ground.

     Master Bullavin kept working his skill. He aimed his wand at the rocks behind him and levitated one large boulder. He then whipped his wand towards the spiders and the boulder followed, crunching Acromantulas under its great weight.

     Digger Bronze swung his broad sword down upon the spiders with a kind of glee that made the other girls smile.

     “I think that boy’s actually havin’ fun doin’ this!” Sam said to the others.