Chapter 2: The Dimly-Lit Room

Chapter 2

The old but busy city of Truro sits near the heart of Cornwall County. It serves as the heart of trade and commerce in Cornwall, growing in population over the years. The city itself was old, dating as far back as Norman times. The town has expanded and yet still kept its identity as an olden city integrating modern technology where applicable. Beneath the cobblestone streets and behind the old stone architecture is a small yet happy Magical community that exists outside the notice of the greater Muggle population.

Rain Fox and Sky Heart knew the area well. Their home village of Buckshead was not far from Truro. They led the group to Lower Lemon Street, near the old shops of Lemon Quay.

"If this Fallborn bloke is anywhere," Sky Heart told the others, "He'll be in the Broom Closet."

"What broom closet?" Echo asked.

"Not 'A' broom closet, mate," Sky Heart corrected her, "THE Broom Closet. It's an inn and pub for witches and wizards on Lemon Street. It's the place to be in town. It's a crackin' pub. It's got the best firewhiskey outside of Diagon Alley. I bet he's there, this Fallborn fellow."

"I've never heard of the place," Dev commented.

"When was the last time you were in Truro?" Rain Fox asked him.

"Actually," Dev said, thinking for a second, "I've never been here before. Nice place, though."

"Well, it's a brilliant pub. You'll see!"

The group, led by Sky Heart and Rain Fox, walked down Lower Lemon Street past the shops and small cantinas. The crowd was sparse and the weather was fair. They made their way towards the square to a set of four large red telephone booths. Rain Fox stepped into the second box from the right and pressed a few digits on the phone box. She then dropped suddenly down, disappearing out of sight.

"That's a neat trick," Rider said.

"What if I don't want to be dropped down a nasty old tube?" Echo asked.

"Then you can wait here," Sky Heart said, "There's no other way down. Otherwise, step into the booth and dial Six-Two-Six-Nine-Seven. Then just wait for the trap door. Okay?"

Jinx and Rider nodded. Echo shrugged and Dev smiled. They stepped one after the other inside of the phone booth. They dialed the numbers and were dropped into a chute. The chute deposited them in front of a door that was old and made of oak with wrought-iron door handles. There was a sign above the door that read "Ye Olde Broom Closet". The sign was made out of wood with a large decorative door built into it that opened and shut, revealing a trio of brooms inside; a novelty broom closet. The sign and the broom closet door were suspended in the air above the front door magically, a charm placed on the sign door to open it and shut it. The front door, though, was in need of repair and stained with heaven-knows-what. Jinx had gone first down the chute while Echo went last. When she dropped down the chute she landed just behind Dev and Sky Heart. Rider opened the doors. The group was hit with a din of talking, laughing, and the clinking of mugs and bottles.

"Now this is my kind of establishment!" Rider laughed.

The group walked slowly and hesitantly into the pub and inn. The patronage was mostly older wizards, all laughing and drinking. There was a festive aura about the place. Framed paintings of old wizards and witches lined the walls; they, too, were laughing and drinking. Several wizards were playing a magical version of darts in a corner of the pub. Above their heads the group noticed a labyrinth of tubes and pipes crisscrossing the ceiling.

"What's that about?" Jinx asked.

"Oh!" Sky Heart said, "That's the brew tube! Every booth and table in the place is hooked up to it. You order your drink and the tube pours it out magically from the taps on the other side of the pub wall. It's a smashing way to serve a drink, honestly!"