Waiting Ch. 12

Chapter Twelve

The next day was awful. I seriously wanted to crawl under a rock, and cry. The beginning of the day wasn't that bad. Kristi smiled when I met her, and wouldn't stop smiling until lunch when I told her I couldn't break up with Nikolas. "Why?" She whined.

"Because he's just so sweet, and I don't want to hurt him," I whimpered, resting my elbow on the table.

"Eh," She said, "I've seen better." She flashed me a pearly smile, and then started eating her salad.

"I..." I started, but was cut off when Mason walked by.

"Hi Taylor," He said, smiling shyly.

"Hey," I whispered. He walked away with his friends, but I swear he looked back to look at me.

"See," Kristi shrieked, "You should be with him! He said hi to you in front of all his friends, while Nikolas ran over to you when they were about to leave. Mason is just so cute, and you're so stupid."

I narrowed my eyes, and stuck my tongue out at her. "Where is Nikolas anyway?" She asked.

I shrugged, and started eating my lunch. When I looked up, Nikolas was arguing with Russell. I decided it was best if I just sat here, and ate lunch. Nikolas shoved Russell, and Russell shoved back. I could feel a fight coming on, but I just sat there and ate my lunch.



It was the end of the day now, and I just knew I flunked the History test. I forgot to study with the funeral, and work and Mr. Cord wouldn't take that as an excuse. He told me unless I had been in the hospital since he told us when the test was, I would take the test.

I slammed my locker shut, and stuffed some books into my bag. "So are you going to break up with him now?" Kristi whispered, smirking.

"Then I wouldn't have a ride home," I told her.

"Fine, let him take you home, and then you break up with him," She sighed, "Just do it, please."

"It's my life," I told her.

"Yes, and I run it," She smirked, "Now go!"

I scrunched my nose up at her, and walked towards the parking lot. Mostly everyone was gone. The buses were gone, and most of the students were too. I would have gone home with Kristi, but she had to go to a funeral, and I was not going to another one of those.

Plus, she didn't come to mine, I wasn't going to hers.

Slowly, I looked around the parking lot, and I heard Nikolas' voice. It wasn't raised, but it was angry. "I'm done man," He growled, "The bets off."

"Come on man," Russell groaned, "It's been three months, and she still hasn't noticed! That's a record man!"

"Doesn't matter," Nikolas snapped, "With her Mother and brother dead, I don't want this to make things worse for her." Wait, they were talking about me! What they said before, man I couldn't remember!

Slowly I crept forward, trying to make their voices louder. What were they saying about me? Nikolas better be sticking up for me. "It's not like the other chick doesn't know," Nikolas told Russell, "She knew a long time ago."

Chick? What chick? He's never referred to me as a chick before. "So," Russell said, "She's not the stupid one, remember? The prank was on that Rodes girl."

"Her name is Taylor," Nikolas corrected.

"Whatever," Russell snapped, "The bet was to see how long you could date her without her noticing you're really with another chick. It's not that hard actually; I could have done it with my eyes closed. And well your three months in, and my bet was five, so hang in there. I need this money, and you were the one who volunteered to do it!"