Waiting Ch. 10

Chapter Ten

The next day was the funeral. I tried as best as I could to hold myself together for Lexie's sake. I helped her dress in a nice black dress, and then I got dressed in one too. My hair was in curls that fell on my shoulder, and I was wearing waterproof makeup.

Dad wouldn't go to the funeral; he told me he wouldn't be able to handle it. So I decided to ask Nikolas for a ride. He was waiting outside in a black suit and his brown hair in his face. "Hey," He whispered, when he saw me. That wasn't what I wanted though, I ran into him, and hugged him tightly. I didn't want to let go, but Lexie was tugging on the hem of my dress.

All three of us got in car, and said nothing. We drove in silence all the way to the cemetery. That's all we needed, a funeral. I was sure Mom and Ethan wouldn't want a viewing or anything, they probably just wanted to be in the ground- for good.

I recognized most of the people there; Mom's co-workers, and long term friends, and even new friends. They all burst into tears when they saw Lexie and me holding hands, walking towards the cemetery. "You look just like her," They cried. I gave them all a tight smile, and hugged them all before going on.

Family members were there also: Aunts, Uncles, cousins, second Aunts, second Uncles, and second cousins. Almost everyone. They hugged us too, and cried. Lexie was crying by now, and I felt like the only one not crying. Ethan's football teammates were there too, along with friends from school, and hockey teammates. They came over to me to tell me they were sorry, but other than that, they stayed at a safe distance.

Nikolas put his arm on my shoulder, and I leaned my head on his shoulder. Lexie held tightly to my hand, weeping silently. The priest started talking, and I took my head off Nikolas' shoulder to hang it. I looked around a little for Mason, but he didn't show up.

It didn't seem long until my Mom and Ethan were buried into the ground, taking a piece of my heart with them. Lexie continued to bawl, and then buried her face into my side. I patted her head, and held her close.

When the service was over, I watched as everyone left. They told me again and again that they were sorry, and glad we weren't harmed. "I wish Daddy could have come," Lexie whispered, looking up at me.

"I know," I told her, rubbing her hair.

"Why didn't he come?" She asked.

"He just didn't want to," I started, but then scratched that, "I mean, well, he just couldn't handle it, like we could."

"He couldn't?" She gasped with wide eyes.

"Nope, he's not strong enough," I agreed. She smiled a little, but through her tears.

We walked towards Nikolas' car, and slowly got in. "Could you drop us off at the ice cream parlor?" I whispered.

"Why?" Nikolas snapped.

I shrugged, "That's where I work."

Nikolas opened his mouth to say something, but shut it quickly. He turned, and pulled up near the ice cream parlor. "Come on Lexie," I muttered, "Thanks so much for coming Nik, it really meant a lot to have you there."

I leaned across, and kissed him on the cheek. He didn't look at me, as I got out of the car. I grabbed my little sister's hand, and stormed into the parlor. Mason must have seen me coming because when I walked in I just saw his back heading into the back room. "Mason," I called, then to my sister I said, "You wait out here, I'll be right back."

I let go of her hand, and she sat down at the table. Slowly I stalked towards the back door. I was angry, I wanted Mason to be there, and he just didn't show up without any warning? I swung the doors open, and there he was fixing the cartons of ice cream. "Care to explain why you weren't at the funeral," I whispered.