C h a p t e r 5

"I wonder what she did to have a son like you. No offense though."

"Frankly, she did nothing. Had she done something and I would've been a better person not just to her but to myself too." Daniel said as he focused on the windscreen.

I could see he was clearly irritated but I was surprised to see that he hadn't given me an irrational response like he mostly did.
Although this one was also quite rudimentary.

I still didn't comprehend why he wouldn't want to talk to his mother but judging from his small replies and lack of interest in the subject, I guessed it was because of some bad blood between the two.

But how much could your mom disappoint you that you no longer even wished to speak to her?

"Why are you saying that? You seem pretty okay to me. You have a real home. A real mom who's going ballistic because of your disappearance. Can you not understand her concern? She loves you. Have some pity for that woman and call her back."

This whole conversation had started when Daniel's phone flashed and I saw 74 missed calls of his mom.

"Everyone's life appears fine from afar, Aurora. Not everyone is living in a dreamland, like you. People outside the Colony have real problems unlike people like you, who only sweat when don't know if to wear a diamond necklace or a ruby one."

"If life in the Colony was that glamorous, I don't think I would be running away from there." I replied as calmly as I could and pretended that what he had said didn't bother me when actually it did.

"You know what? Just quit it. Okay?'

"No, I am not going to stop. If location is what you think brings sorrow to people's lives then:

why on earth was I dumped by my mother? Why Sheryl, the only person I ever loved, was taken away from me? Why do I not know a single person who shares the same blood as me? Why was I not given a family?

You know what? You are an asshole for not knowing the value of what you have! Even after all I told you about myself, you only engage in the facade."

I didn't yell nor was my voice high but there was a certain degree of hostility and ferocity in it that even made me wonder.

Daniel had provoked me and I was infuriated to know his point of view about my life. I thought I could talk some sense into him but for some deranged reason he still didn't agree.

I could tell that from the look on his face. His eyes were firmly on the road as if they were scrutinizing something. The bile rising in his throat made his brows furrow and he pushed hard on the accelerator.

The car began speeding and shot forward with a fierce velocity. I tried to stop him but he didn't listen. He continued pushing hard on the accelerator and I had a glance at the shaking needle of the speedometer. The car raced like a projectile shot from a cannon.

Once again, I tried to stop him but he only pushed harder. Everything outside the window became hazy and I started feeling nauseous. I felt like my gut was going to slip out of my body. Tears forced their way out of my eyes and I screamed the highest you can imagine.

"STOP!!"

Gradually, the car began to slow down and his grip on the steering wheel loosened. The rigidness on his face evaporated and the car finally came to an abrupt stop.

"WHAT ON EARTH DO YOU THINK YOU WERE DOING?"

"I was just trying to show you what my life is like, since you were so interested."