C h a p t e r 2

I woke up with the sound of unfamiliar footsteps filling my ears, yes, unfamiliar because I can recognize merely by footsteps that who is coming upstairs whether Mom, Dad or Aurora. But these? No-no. They were not of a kinsman.

I picked up my shirt which was lying on the floor and walked towards the door, half naked and half scared. Could it be robbers? No that's impossible! Then who? Having now worn my shirt, I turned the door knob and was startled to see the sight of some middle-aged men in police uniform in the hall way.

There was also a lady who, when I walked further out of my room, found in Rory's room.

Oh god, I must be dreaming because never on Earth would Aurora ever let anybody, especially strangers, inside her room. And this lady, who was also wearing the identical uniform as those men who were now staring at me like I was headless, was neither known to me nor Rory. Besides, what would be the business of two policemen and a policewoman in our house?

I entered Rory's room to know what was wrong and saw mom sitting at the corner of the bed while dad was looking out of the open window of her room.

"Look ma'am I want you to co-operate with us, crying will not solve anything. I would rather you answer my questions as precisely as you can so we can begin our job. And I promise you we will find her but for now, please calm down." The woman said with a hint of irritation in her voice.

When I looked again at mom I saw the wetness gleaming around her eyes as the Sun flickered and its beams entered the room through the window.

It was probably 5am. She looked weary and her eyes were half closed, her face and its features which usually looked vivid and youthful now looked grave and the area below her nose looked sagged.

"Where's Rory?" I asked and all the eyes turned in my direction. I shifted my eyes from mom to dad, but they didn't answer.

"Dad? Care to tell me where Rory is? And what the hell's happening?" As an answer he just pressed his lips and shook his head.

"Follow me young man." The lady said and I followed her out of the room and stopped when we were in the living room downstairs.

"Rory, huh? Is that Auora's nick name?"

I told her it was. I was the one who had started calling her that when I was younger because saying Aurora, for me, was like saying a tongue twister.

"Your sister is missing." She said in a professional tone.

"There are only two things possible so far; either your sister has been kidnapped or she has run away. I have a strong feeling it's the second scenario because it's virtually impossible to get in the house without leaving a  single clue plus a few of her clothes and a bag is missing. Besides, if she was kidnapped, the kidnapper would've contacted us."

"Or maybe, like every teenager, she has gone somewhere without informing us and will be back in a bit of time. Why don't you think of that? What's the need of creating a ruckus over something so obvious?" I said.

"Young man, we have contacted every one of her friends plus your parents told me she never does that (disappear out of the blue). Anyway, Is there anything you'd like to tell me about your sister or her behavior lately? Anything that you thought was suspicious or even slightly peculiar?"

Aurora actually was acting a bit weird lately like she was acting hell nicer than she actually is and a day or two ago I  even saw her cleaning her room which was the contrary of what the Aurora I know would do. But I decided not to speak about any of the aforementioned.

Instead my instinct told me to check her room so I ran towards her room without answering the lady's question. Immediately, my eyes fell on the empty wall above the head of her bed and I knew exactly where she had gone to.